Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Searching for an E70 LCI model

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Paddcomp

Post by Paddcomp » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:31 pm

After a string of Mercs and currently in a leased A6, I've resisted the SUV trend but can't see the point any more. After searching the current modern SUVs from the far east the performance isn't there as they all have 1.2 - 1.6 engines, hence how I kept coming back to the X5 and at my price point an E70 in the LCI range from 2011 to 2013.

Firstly my must haves are a diesel with a light airy interior, either from light coloured leather or pan roof, M-Sport spec for the seats and full navigation as I couldn't look at the narrow screen everyday. Anything else is a nice to have:

I like a decent level of performance, which I believe the 30d would provide, but I'd like the 40d is there a noticeable difference.
I have a bad back, so would like the sports seats but also like to look of comfort seats, any experience or feedback appreciated.
Following a test drive I thought the PDC was late kicking in and it was difficult to judge the distance via the mirrors, rear or top view cameras seem useful?
Panoramic roof seems a nice feature, so I want one.

What are the wear and tear items that I should look out for, suspension arms, shocks etc. Tyres, are non runflats acceptable / advisable?
Servicing, is the recommended 2 years acceptable and what mileages do things start getting expensive. I'm limiting my search to 80K miles.

The price range seems to be from £15k for a private 40d M-Sport with basic extras to £20k for a BMW Approved Used 40d with all the extras above. My timescales are August / September as my lease is to the end of Sept.

Any advice appreciated.

mr angry

Re: Searching for an E70 LCI model

Post by mr angry » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi, there are loads of points there.. but after owning an LCi 40d for a few months I will give you my take.

If funds allow I would go for the later model purely for the updated transmission. My car is currently pretty ill having had the high pressure fuel pump go and flushing swarf throughout the fuel system, but then it was a cheap high mileage example with no warranty.

I test drove the 30d and to be honest there is a very noticeable difference in performance throughout the range compared to that of the 40d. I also drove the M50d which was a vast improvement again, it all depends on what you want from it.

If you have a bad back I would go for a car with the comfort seats as they are a vast improvement and I wish I had held out for them over the sports seats. I cannot comment on the sunroof as I dont have one.

My car has done over 200K and to be honest other than the fueling fault it drove like new, but as with all of these cars, the suspension joints can go causing premature tyre wear. That said the replacement cost of these components (not using dealer) is not that expensive. The tyres however can be expensive on the Msport models. You will read a lot of chat on here about using run flat tyres vs no run flats but make your own mind up as there are pros and cons for each side of the discussion.

I also had an issue with 4x4 warning which I wrongly thought was the transfer box failing when it turned out to be a sensor so it pays for proper diagnostics rather than playing the "lets throw parts at it" guessing game.

As I said, my car is currently having the whole fuel system replaced at an eye watering cost and the indy that is doing the work said that in his opinion the m57 (pre-facelift) engine was more reliable as he has seen a lot of issues with the latter N57.

Paddcomp

Post by Paddcomp » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:58 pm

mr angry wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:50 pm Hi, there are loads of points there.. but after owning an LCi 40d for a few months I will give you my take.

If funds allow I would go for the later model purely for the updated transmission. My car is currently pretty ill having had the high pressure fuel pump go and flushing swarf throughout the fuel system, but then it was a cheap high mileage example with no warranty.

snipped

If you have a bad back I would go for a car with the comfort seats as they are a vast improvement and I wish I had held out for them over the sports seats. I cannot comment on the sunroof as I dont have one.

As I said, my car is currently having the whole fuel system replaced at an eye watering cost and the indy that is doing the work said that in his opinion the m57 (pre-facelift) engine was more reliable as he has seen a lot of issues with the latter N57.
Thanks Mr A, just for clarification. I thought the 40d and all LCI cars had the later 8 speed auto, was there another update?
Are M57 eninges in E70 cars and N57 in F15 cars?

Jayx5

Post by Jayx5 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:32 pm

hi
The lci x5s came with the 8 speed box and the newer n57 engine :thumbsup:
I've got the pano roof, comfort seats and top/rear view cameras in my x5 and love all of them, the seats are awsome but have so much adjustment it took me about a month to get them right :D, the cameras make parking an absolute doddle and are well worth it. good luck with the search.

Paddcomp

Post by Paddcomp » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:48 pm

I've found a 2011 40d with 68k and full BMW history, black with beige comfort seats (cooled and massage), HUD, rear entertainment, soft close, rear and side view cameras etc.
Will collect this week, thanks for the advice.

ckl139

Post by ckl139 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Paddcomp wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:48 pm I've found a 2011 40d with 68k and full BMW history, black with beige comfort seats (cooled and massage), HUD, rear entertainment, soft close, rear and side view cameras etc.
Hey mate

Congrats on the purchase.

I'm on the look out for the same sort of car and spec.

How many owners ?

Good to see you found one.

If you don't mind could you share the advert if still available as wonder if it any of the ones I saw....also if you could share what you paid ?

Jayx5

Post by Jayx5 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:06 pm

looks like a great spec, I've got the cooled seats and they are really good :thumbsup:

ckl139

Post by ckl139 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:25 am

ckl139 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:59 pm
Paddcomp wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:48 pm I've found a 2011 40d with 68k and full BMW history, black with beige comfort seats (cooled and massage), HUD, rear entertainment, soft close, rear and side view cameras etc.
Hey mate

Congrats on the purchase.

I'm on the look out for the same sort of car and spec.

How many owners ?

Good to see you found one.

If you don't mind could you share the advert if still available as wonder if it any of the ones I saw....also if you could share what you paid ?
PS - meant to say didn't want link or details to go have a look myself - only for interest and comparison as i'm looking too!

Anyway do you have it?! Pics pls!

Paddcomp

Post by Paddcomp » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:34 pm

Collected today
I just found a great car on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3

Download the app to find your perfect car.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... %2520Share

ckl139

Post by ckl139 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Nice one congrats...

Link doesn't work so look forward to pics.

If you don't mind what was asking price and what did you pay? happy to take a PM on this if you prefer.

Any plans for it, or any work need doing?

Paddcomp

Post by Paddcomp » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:49 pm

I've taken some pictures of my recent purchase E70 40d M-Sport.
The colour is Ruby Black Metallic

HA55AN786

Post by HA55AN786 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:11 am

I have to say, this car is really impressive! I was just curious if you still own it.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:28 pm

User has not been on here for more than 3 years now sadly.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

HA55AN786

Post by HA55AN786 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:44 pm

Do you have contact to the person or not anymore?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:42 am

You can try sending them a PM but that’s all.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.