Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car change

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Olliefrom83

Car change

Post by Olliefrom83 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:11 pm

Evening

I am looking to get an E70, between now and Christmas. M-sport from about 08-10, I have seen a few already, 3.0d 3.5d and 3.0sd most with around 100k or just over Is the 3.0sd and 3.5d more problematic with the extra turbo? It will be my wifes daily, but weekends it will be a family shifter so must have 7seat option, would the 3.0d feel bogged down with all seats occupied?
Also when did DAB become the norm is the E70? Was it an optional extra before LCI?

Thanks in advance

Ollie

Olliefrom83

Re: Car change

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Evening

Seen a 40d m-sport, 7 seat today, 111k on the clock, 2011, seems clean and tidy part from a bit of wear on drivers seat, has full history and mots, is there anything I should be wary of with this mileage on the LCI?
What things tend to go wrong on the LCI?

Cheers

Ollie

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:06 pm

The key area to look at is what tyres are fitted. Wrong tyres can mean broken diffs of transfer boxes. If you can drive it then check for any jerkiness at low (walking) speed and at full steering lock. That’s a very bad sign! Check for odd noises in the transmission too. Any grinding or whining noises are also a very bad sign. Like many BMWs with xDrive, use of ‘*’ marked tyres is advised, but as they cost more owners go cheaper.

Other common faults are with the ebrake parking brake. If the actuator fails it can be megabucks to fix. Dealers want at least £1k for the actuator and Bowden cable assembly to be replaced!

111k on an 8 year old car is above average, but not badly above.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Olliefrom83

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:59 am

Thanks for that X5Sport

I am keeping that one in mind, going to go and see a 2011 30d m-sport with 80k in the week, this one has 19” 223 with fairly new Bridgestone Turanza all around, but can’t seem to find anywhere that says if the Turanza are a star marked tyre .

Cheers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:07 pm

There are two versions of the Turanza. One has no marking and the other is an ‘MO’ version (Mercedes Original) that BMW appears to be starting to fit (along with MOE - the ‘E’ is extended MO - and AO (Audi Original) on some models so if it’s the MO then it could be just fine. :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Olliefrom83

Post by Olliefrom83 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:02 pm

Excellent

Thanks for the info, I will check all tyre markings when I go and see, if I am unsure I will get some pics for advice.
Really want to avoid anything that might give me drivetrain trouble

Thanks again

Ollie