Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New owner 3.0d SE- list of DIY jobs and hello

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Churchfield

New owner 3.0d SE- list of DIY jobs and hello

Post by Churchfield » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Hello all,

Just picked up a 2007 3.0d SE with 90k on the clock and what looks decent service history. Monaco Blue with grey leather and some scratched aluminium trim! Options fitted are:

Heated Seats
Panoramic Roof
Dynamic Pack
Media Pack
Sat Nav
Professional Audio system
Xenons
Reverse Camera
Maybe replace some aluminium trim

Taking it to BMW tomorrow for some recalls to be done, idler pulley bolt and the heater resistor.

Keen to do work on it myself to keep costs down and I like understanding how things work. The car seems to be in good shape Things to do:

Oil Change - DONE
Oil Filter - DONE
Air Filter - DONE
Pollen Filters x 3 - DONE

Thermostats (Main and EGR)
Fuel Filter
Coolant Change
Brake Fluid
Swirl Flaps Blanking
Transmission Fluid and Filter

I noticed the temperature in the hidden menu was rarely getting above 80, generally staying between 75 and 80C, so I have read it would be a good idea to replace the 'stats, which is probably the job I am most worried about doing! Have read some articles about it. Going to tackle the EGR Thermostat first to get some confidence.

Thank you for the articles I have read on here whilst deciding what to buy and in completing the above jobs.

Hello to all.
James

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: New owner 3.0d SE- list of DIY jobs and hello

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:38 pm

The egr isn't too bad its only 2 bolts and a hose clip but I found the rigid vac line is in the way and needs pulling back and a cable tie needed cut to allow this but still very tight ,open the bleed screw till coolant comes out when warm and you are done :D Egr stat didn't fix mine but best to change both when you are at it and use genuine parts as they are not that much more on this occasion.
For the main stat getting the car drained I couldn't find a drain plug ,there is a cover under the rad and one of the heads of the screws as rusted away so I couldn't take it off so just pulled the hose to the stat off into a basin in the end.

Churchfield

Post by Churchfield » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Thank you for guidance, very kind of you.

Did you replace anything else while you had the fan out for preventative maintenance?

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:17 pm

I didn't have the fan out and there is no need on the x5 as clearance is good , under the radiator is where I thought the drain tap was but these is a plastic cover I couldn't get removed due to a rusted screw so I had no way of draining the system easily so just took the hose of at the main stat . :D

Churchfield

Post by Churchfield » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Please may you tell me where the bleed screw is?

Thank you

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Bottom of the radiator :D

Churchfield

Post by Churchfield » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 pm

Ah ok, thank you, almost makes too much sense for BMW putting it where it should be!

Not going to be able to attempt until week after next as going away. I will let you know how it goes though.

DIY-PETE

Post by DIY-PETE » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:01 pm

You may find there is no bleed screw, I had to change the coolant on the other half's 2009 E93 (3.0D) and there wasn't one. I couldn't find one on my E70 same year same engine Apparently there is supposed to be an electric pump which assists bleeding of the system but this was not the case, so I had to do it by running the engine and watching the return of water to the filler until the water stopped being aerated.

Churchfield

Post by Churchfield » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Thank you DIY PETE, I have seen some You tube videos on that.

I was at the dealer yesterday getting a recall sorted and asked them to supply the thermostat to me. Amusingly the advisor thought he would give me a quote for supply and fit, although already told him I would DIY. Main thermostat fitted including 2 hours labour....£488!

James

Churchfield

Post by Churchfield » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Any opinions of whether I should replace water pump and hoses when I am doing the thermostat?

marti

Post by marti » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:42 pm

Churchfield wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:53 pm Any opinions of whether I should replace water pump and hoses when I am doing the thermostat?
I would only do the pump if its coming up to or over 100k on the clock

Churchfield

Post by Churchfield » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 pm

93k on the clock so it could be time! Anyone know what brands of pump are good? There seems to be a big variation in price.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:26 am

It leave it alone the hoses don't really fail but the o ring inside can compress and leak , bmw will only sell a new hose but i managed to change one on my 330d id imagine they are the same design quick release and decent pumps are quite expensive so if it's not leaking I'd leave it.there will be lots of other expenses with an x5 !!!