Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension compressor

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Stuart Phillips

Suspension compressor

Post by Stuart Phillips » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering how often do you hear your compressor kick in with the E70?, and do you ever get a level control system failure even though the suspension is sitting correctly, ie not dropped at all.
Mine seems more prone to do it when I load the boot up with holiday gear and put the caravan on the back :D

marti

Re: Suspension compressor

Post by marti » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:21 am

I never hear it on my e71, must be all the extra weight :D

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:29 pm

Had it a good few times in a few weeks then compressor blew up ,it's not getting up to pressure so although it looks fine it may not last much longer.
Compressor can be heard for couple of secs on start-up at times then stops as pressure is reached.
Check the rear air bags for cracking too although mine were fine and I just replaced the compressor 1 year ago ,had a dent on the head of it were it mangled itself inside.
The 40a fuse then blows thats when you know it's kaput !

gileso

Post by gileso » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:07 pm

This video shows how to test and replace the compressor (admittedly on a 5-series estate).
Towards the end he disassembles the compressor to show how it works and how it failed.

His style takes a while to get used to but he's pretty good at diagnosing weird BMW electric problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_VxT6h5bQE