Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E70 LCI 2011 (March Build) - BMW Online - INTERNET

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
excalibscumbag

E70 LCI 2011 (March Build) - BMW Online - INTERNET

Post by excalibscumbag » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:22 am

Anyone managed to get the Internet option working on their car in the UK? I've only ever seen this working on German cars in Germany. It mentions it in my manual for the car but I can't get it to work (Iphone 4 + Iphone 3GS). The BMW online services (Google Local search) all work just fine. I'm trying to get the CIC browser up and running for any website. Is this just a no go in the UK?

NewX5

Re: E70 LCI 2011 (March Build) - BMW Online - INTERNET

Post by NewX5 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 am

I have only seen this option in the manual never seen on a vehicle in the uk, have yoyu spoke with dealer?
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

Jalf

Post by Jalf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 am

If I remember it's just in Germany at the moment, there is a mod being discussed here to enable it though, some guy in Poland has the knowledge and skills :)

stevee

Post by stevee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Is this the Internet (option 614) you're trying to use? I guess not, because that's only on post April 1 builds .. but just checking!

I was told by BMW that Internet access (option 614) uses the in-built GSM data connection??
X5 E70 (2011)

acideraser

Post by acideraser » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:20 pm

mine is feb built, BMW online works fine, even emails work on bb torch, but no option for internet browser, just google location search.
------------------------------------
2011 X5 xDrive30d SE Platinum Grey 20" 336 alloys

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:30 pm

[quote=""Jalf""]If I remember it's just in Germany at the moment, there is a mod being discussed here to enable it though, some guy in Poland has the knowledge and skills :)[/quote]

That'll be Patryk then. I hope to talk to him on Skype in the next few days to see what he can do with option 6NF and 6NR. I thought tge fll browser required you to 'tether' your own mobile to the car and your own data contract did the rest. For my current Orange contract that adds £5 a month but allows me then to use my 750MB of allowance on the car too - via the mobile.

Once I've talked with Patryk, i'll let folks know.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

acideraser

Post by acideraser » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Please do X5Sport, I have tethering option enabled in my iphone4....
thanks
------------------------------------
2011 X5 xDrive30d SE Platinum Grey 20" 336 alloys

excalibscumbag

Post by excalibscumbag » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:06 am

This is what I got back from Patryk.
Hi Phil,

I have not tried to enable the Internet access in a car with working Assist
and I am not sure if they can co-exist.
I will verify it in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Patryk

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Looking at Realoem, which has just had its catalogue updated, it looks as if BMW have released a series of new Comboxes as of the end of March. I'm a little suspicious now that in order to be able to do everything a replacement is required. I just need Patryk to confirm what his mods will enable as I don't want to lose the existing Aux port. I want to get the 6NF option enabled with the existing hardware, and if possible 6NR, but I don't want to lose functions in order o do this, and certainly not Assist.

There is a discussion running here, but some 'customers' are getting a bit antsy about lack of technical detail so beware of some comments which may, or may not, seem unnecessary. It's a hard call for any Vendor to allow info on what they are doing out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507330

If all else fails, I'll run a wifi/3g hotspot and the ipad as let's face it if I'm driving then I'm not browsing!! If BMW wants loads a money for it, and Patryk can't get it working fully without affecting Assist, then £5 a month goes a long way. And I'm still pee'd off at my Dealer! :evil:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Have had a chat with Patryk and as yet there is no internet option with assist, but he is looking at the problem. I don't know what the conflict between Assst and Internet access is however it is of note that BMW are going to offer a hotspot snap-in with its own Sim card. I don't understand all the issues here but it may be to do with clashes between the different types of service all running together. One uses voice and the other data and getting tem to co-exist on a common data link may be the problem even though GSM is digital anyway. It may be to do with the GSM networks routing of different signals on a common link. Voice and Data would go different ways on the etwork.