Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dension Gateway 500 & AVR Unit

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Avtar

Dension Gateway 500 & AVR Unit

Post by Avtar » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:15 pm

This was in the Jason at B&W yesterday, felt soory for the gang as they spent all day on this and got the gateway part working great but it looks as though Dension sent a faulty AVR unit for the video routing so it will be going back on Wednesday for completion, will give an update then.
Current Drives:

Alpina D5 BiTurbo
E70 3.0sD SE (Sold)
E46 330 Convertible
Alpina B3 S BiTurbo (SOLD)

History:

E39 528 Sport, 530 Sport
E38 735 Sport
E36 318iS, 320, 325

Avtar

Re: Dension Gateway 500 & AVR Unit

Post by Avtar » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:21 am

Had this fitted, and I must say a very neet job was done. However, I am encountering issues with regards to playing videos and have tried another IPOD with different software version so it is not the IPOD, the IPOD from an audio perspective works great.

Dension are currently investigating and I shall update when I know more.
Current Drives:

Alpina D5 BiTurbo
E70 3.0sD SE (Sold)
E46 330 Convertible

History:

E39 528 Sport, 530 Sport
E38 735 Sport
E36 318iS, 320, 325

Avtar

Post by Avtar » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:26 pm

So, this have been going on for months now, there is good news and bad news:

Good News

The Gateway 500 part of the system works fine through the iDrive system and charges the iPod.

Bad News

The AVR deivce which is supposed to route iPod video to both the front and rear screens and has not worked from day 1. This was installed by their so called senior engineer, who advised that due to the configuration of the car and AVR-RGB converter was required (extra cost). The most that has ever worked is an intermittent picture from an iPhone 4 (movies not music video, go figure).

Dension support have been useless in their support, they keep aking questions, half of which I have given answers to and asking for me to test scenarios that I have already tried. They have refused to escalate the situation or to resend the engineer so after a number of months I have decided to remove the AVR device and AVR-RGB converter (as it has also caused issues with my rear entertainment system in term of no volume to the rear).

In summary, I will retain the Gateway 500 unit, but be warned of the claims when it comes to the capabilities of these additional components as they are not cheap to purchase or install and when ot goes wrong there does not seem to be muc recourse with Dension.

Avtar
Current Drives:

Alpina D5 BiTurbo
E70 3.0sD SE (Sold)
E46 330 Convertible

History:

E39 528 Sport, 530 Sport
E38 735 Sport
E36 318iS, 320, 325

petert

Post by petert » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 pm

I seem to recall on X5drivers that we made a bit of a fuss about poor support/service that generated a huge amount of negative publicity for the hapless supplier. Maybe we should consider something similar in cases like these. Maybe need a bit more than one case though.

Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.