Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LCI 8spd box vrs older 6spd

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
5wany

LCI 8spd box vrs older 6spd

Post by 5wany » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:45 pm

I've had the opportunity to test drove a couple of e70 with the 6sp box (3.0d & 3.0sd). Which I felt was exactly the same as my e53 (was 56plate). The only minor annoyance (6sp box) was the way it held onto gears when cold and sometimes the double shift down when overtaking & the times it held onto the gear before shifting up. Always felt it needed at least another gear in there somewhere to make the overall drive smoother.

I just wondered what like the LCI with newer 8speed box is like in comparison, just putting out feelers to get opinions. ;)

Thanks
:music:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: LCI 8spd box vrs older 6spd

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:46 am

The 8sp box is the smoothest I have ever had the pleasure to drive. The shift pattern is a little (but only a very little) different when cold, as all autos tend to be, but once warm then it's a beauty. Very quick shifts (less than 0.2 sec) and if accelerating away you just don't feel them - which can mean you are past the 70mph limit VERY quickly and without noticing. ZF say it uses only two active shift elements when changing gears rather than the up to 5 on the 6sp.

The transmission is supposed to be capable of shifting from 8th to 2nd in ONE step, and it certainly uses 'block shifting' when required. Using the paddle shifters in full auto is useful as you can fast shift a number if gears. Not sure if the X5 has them. Kickdown is very responsive. Having got Bimmers with each box fitted, the 8sp is a beaut and it was what made me go new rather than nearly new when I bought the X6. That and the 40d engine of course...... :D :driving:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MisterS3

Post by MisterS3 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:27 am

I bought my 40d because of the engine and more importantly, the gearbox. I was coming from a 335d and the gearbox was worth the change.

I just miss the paddles which only the M has in X5 guise.
Would pay to get paddles fitted to my X5.

5wany

Post by 5wany » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:55 pm

yup sounds like the 8sp makes the LCI X5 a bit more special than the first e70's. Reckon it is well worth waiting a wee bit more time till the LCI models drop into my comfort zone :)

Thanks for replys
:music: