Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine code question

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Engine code question

Post by Leslie » Wed May 13, 2020 12:18 am

I think diff failure was very rare, judder on steering lock at low speed is often the transfer box, a rumpling like driving on a motorway rumple strip as you drive in top gear can be the torque converter on the way out and slipping. Suspension inactive is compressor or airbag leaks.
Is its laggy at low revs the small turbo isn't doing its job on the sd/35d engine.
Sunroofs are prone to failure and need complete 3k replacement as they are not fixable but nice to have. Heated seats a must and xenon lights.
28mpg is a realistic best for older e70's
If the tail pipes are not clean run away as the particulate filter is broke/ missing and will be very costly to fix.

dazmul1

Post by dazmul1 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 pm

Drove it today and I thought it drove perfect going back to buy it in the morning after he's tested it.
Thanks for your input guys.

neil50

Post by neil50 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:33 am

dazmul1 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 pm Drove it today and I thought it drove perfect going back to buy it in the morning after he's tested it.
Thanks for your input guys.
Hi Daz, even though it has been serviced regularly, I would like to bet that the gearbox and transfer box oil hasn't been changed as it is often labeled as "for life" even though the gearbox manufacturer state that "for life" usually means 100000 miles.

It is one of the first things that I had done after I got my 2011 E70 40d.

It is not cheap as I wanted the gearbox filter changed as well which is actually part of the sump pan and they have to get a new one. Maybe worth asking the question if they have record of having it done and if not see if you can include that as a condition of sale.
Current
2011 E70 40d 7 seat - remapped
Merc CLK convertible
Audi A2
Smart Car
Previous BMW
E32 - 735se, 735il
E39 - 530d touring
E61 - 525i touring, 525d touring (remapped)

dazmul1

Post by dazmul1 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:48 am

It was on my list to do in the first few months of ownership, I cant ask the garage to do it I've been a nuisance on price and insisting it gets a fresh mot as it still had 7 months left, he's also upgraded the warranty from 3 months to a year.