Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DPF amber warning after 10 mins....Darren Woods Stockport

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
approved

DPF amber warning after 10 mins....Darren Woods Stockport

Post by approved » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:50 am

HI all,

Just a tale for reference about the above, as i'm guessing this will be an ongoing discussion/issues for owners.

Car is pre LCI 09, 84k, had it 7 years, main dealer SH other that suspension air bags and swirl flap blanking done by Darren Woods.

My experience is we got the amber warning light, thought due to a few short journeys over Covid lockdown, no run outs, so did loads of googling and found multiple similar stories.

Not issues with how it drives, full power etc, so first shout was 40L of premium diesel and two long drives of an hour a piece. Drives perfect but it was still coming on, on the dot, 10 mins into my journey.

Off to Darren Woods in Stockport and glow plug 2 is confirmed as faulty. Also diagnosed an issue with the EGR vacuum convertor, so we discussed options and agreed on some additional preventative maintenance whilst in there.

Inlet manifold off, all 6 glow plugs replaced ( 5 were ok but who knew for how long?) new glow plug relay, EGR vacuum convertor and a 20 min drive to make sure regen is happening and all is well. Car washed and vacuumed as well.

Dropped yesterday morning, collected this morning.

Happy days.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DPF amber warning after 10 mins....Darren Woods Stockport

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Useful to know. Glow plugs are used as part of the regen system on certain versions (all after 2010 I think) so losing even one stops the regen and everything clogs up. I didn’t get to the warning light state on my X6 as I picked the error up via a routine check that I do with a Carly OBD2 scanner.

Once the plugs were replaced (plus their controller) I took the car out for a drive and the smoke that appeared when she cleared her throat was impressive - unless you were in the Merc behind me.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: DPF amber warning after 10 mins....Darren Woods Stockport

Post by Leslie » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Was worried about short runs only during lock down too so made sure to give it a good heating when I got the chance.