Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bootlid tail lights

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
DIY-PETE

Bootlid tail lights

Post by DIY-PETE » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:19 pm

thought I would share this, I mentioned on another post about my tail light on the bootlid (LED one) failing and repair.
In typical fashion the other side failed exactly the same, so I have added photos.
this shows the fog light and the connector for the LED, notice there is now only one spade terminal
this shows the fog light and the connector for the LED, notice there is now only one spade terminal
IMG_0500.jpeg (128.78 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Close up of the connector with the corroded terminal, this a pig to get out.
Close up of the connector with the corroded terminal, this a pig to get out.
IMG_0501.jpeg (152.63 KiB) Viewed 576 times
I
this where I have soldered a replacement wire for the corroded spade terminal
this where I have soldered a replacement wire for the corroded spade terminal
IMG_0504.jpeg (137.93 KiB) Viewed 576 times
As this was my second repair I learnt that the solder will not take sufficiently unless the area is removed of the what appears to be like a galvanised finish, and as such I achieved a better end product.
I also removed the corroded connector from plastic holder leaving just the one in to connect to the existing terminal then attach the "flying lead' to the red wire.
I have to say there wasn't any water in either light fitting but as the car is a 2009 some condensation may over the time be responsible and both were identical in the corrosion.(the rust wasn't damp at all!)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Bootlid tail lights

Post by Leslie » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:01 pm

It certainly looks like water has got in ,maybe some time in the past I know I've had to replace one and there was water getting in the other as a previous owner had used sealer round it , I was getting foglight warnings on startup but they have stopped a while now but I;m half expecting to have to fit another light . That's quite bad for the terminal to rust off.