Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

oil filter

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Xdrive40dtwinturbo

oil filter

Post by Xdrive40dtwinturbo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi,

I am new to the forum.

Please can someone advise.

I recently changed the oil filter on my X5 Msport 40D, I changed it for the same one that was fitted which was a Bosch P7094.

I didnt take note of the way the original was fitted, eg which way round it slipped on the spindle. The way i thought it went on which was so the rubber seal on one end was at the top under the screw cap but it wouldnt allow me to screw the housing back on. So I fitted the filter on the other way round which didnt make sense to e and it allowed me to screw the housing back down. I havent drove it yet just run it for a few minutes to get the new oil moving round then turned it off. I left it overnight to see if any oil had leaked form the housing incase it was fitted wrong and it was fine.

It may well be right but i cannot help thinking its not!!

I have attached a picture of the filter type which shows a standard end and the other end with a plastic ring with notches and rubber seat.

The pther thing that confused me is I have scoured the internet and cannot find a picture or video of any X5 with the same oil filter housing as mine. The thread on mine is inside the housing cover where as the rest seem to be on the outside, pictures attached.

Any help would be great an put my mind at ease.

Thanks
Attachments
p7094.jpg
p7094.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Not my filter cap.PNG
Not my filter cap.PNG (146.14 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Mine looks like this with female thread.PNG
Mine looks like this with female thread.PNG (28.13 KiB) Viewed 659 times

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: oil filter

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:27 pm

I use Mann filters on mine and I’m pretty sure the rubber seal is at the bottom - as in not the cap end. The other way round allows oil to get from the inlet to the outlet without going through the filter which is force fed up the centre, hence having the seal. The filter pushes up inside the cap. I have the same fitting as you. The other type is (I think) used on the M57 engines and we have N57 series. Certainly my 2005 E53 had that type as does our (now stored) E46, both equipped with M57 3.0L diesel engines.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Xdrive40dtwinturbo

Post by Xdrive40dtwinturbo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:33 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:27 pm I use Mann filters on mine and I’m pretty sure the rubber seal is at the bottom - as in not the cap end. The other way round allows oil to get from the inlet to the outlet without going through the filter which is force fed up the centre, hence having the seal. The filter pushes up inside the cap. I have the same fitting as you. The other type is (I think) used on the M57 engines and we have N57 series. Certainly my 2005 E53 had that type as does our (now stored) E46, both equipped with M57 3.0L diesel engines.
Thats put my mind at ease. I know what you men now with the end of the filter that has the white rubber seal being correctly placed on the filter holder at the opposite end of the cap so it seals the bottom allowing the oil to be forced up through the centre.

Thanks for your help.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Forgot to add :hi: to the Forum too. :thumbsup:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.