Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Performance in snow - 20 wheels

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
H4MP

Performance in snow - 20 wheels

Post by H4MP » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 pm

I don't know about you guys but my car is awful its an 35d on m sport wheels. Even on the tiniest bit of snow slightest downhill it just won't stop.

I don't know how long this snow will last think of investing in winter tyres. Are the winters on 20 inch wheels any good or would I need smaller 18 inch wheels?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Performance in snow - 20 wheels

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:02 pm

I’ve got 19” winter tyres for mine. Have you tried ‘snow mode’? Short press on the DSC button. It turns part of the traction control system off without turning all of the intervention off and worked fine a couple of winters back. No snow here so no need.

I know there are a couple of owners with 20” winter tyres who seem happy with them. My 19” set is fine too - or it was the last time fitted as I now can’t get tyres for them.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:30 pm

Do you mean just click the traction control switch once.? It's decent enough to get out of snow it's more the braking and she I live there's are lot of inclines. It's absolutely rubbish downhill. My previous car which was a Toyota verso that was better. I'm guessing the width of the tyres 315 at rear act like skis

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:57 pm

Many owners invest in a second wheel set with winter rubber. Often they are 19" or even 18" if they clear the calipers. Down south snow has been absent for some years, despite that i created a 20" winter set which remain unused :roll:

I used my old E53 in serious snow years ago and made use of the hill descent setting with success. Its a bit scary letting it take over but worked very well. That was on wide summer rubber too.

FWIW BMW have offered 18" 19" and 20" winter sets and Pirelli make a * rated 20" staggered tyre in ice & snow spec, tho that requires a sacrifice of the bank balance.

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:26 pm

I think I'll be going the part worn route
I'm afraid I can't afford £300 per corner. Winter tyres are costing £50 ish each part worn. For run flat star marked usually have 5 to 6mm

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:03 pm

As others will tell you, below 4mm winter tyres in snow are near useless and changing tyres on your summer/normal rims each season carries a 2 x times cost to factor too.

Better to seek out a winter wheel set imo. Usually a number of options on eBay :)

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:19 pm

That does make alot of sense what you're saying.
I will try getting the rims because at moment it's shocking in snow

touring

Post by touring » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:50 am

I now have a F15 on 20” wheels and it’s rubbish in snow, worse than most 2 wheel drive cars. I purchased a 19” set of winter wheels with Goodyear tyres direct from BMW and never had a problem, I now have an e70 set of 19” wheels with less than 3,500 miles for sale, no punctures or kerb damage, looking for £875. They cost me £2500 from BMW.

Based in Stoke-on- Trent

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:33 pm

You can get a full set of Rotalla ice plus s220 for around 400 quid in 20's , "c" grip rating winter tyres , they wlll be 100% better than summer tyres guaranteed in winter !

Going down to 18's won;t make much difference and remember most cars on summer tyres will get stuck long long before you do on these and that's what mostly limits how far you can go on the road not ultimate grip !!!!!!!!! :driving:

and while 4x4 can get going better the sheer mass is a big issue when it comes to getting stopped again as you have found .

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:51 pm

The stopping is a huge issue, I'm guessing the 18s are narrow so are able to dig in better. Where's the 20s just literally float over 315s are huge. But I'm sure winter tyres on 20s will make some difference

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:14 pm

Although Pirelli make the staggered set i noted, generally it seems BMW prefers a square set up for winter wheels, often with exaggerated rear wheel offsets to compensate.
Numerous sets on eBay at sensible money :wink:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:09 am

Winters on your 20s will make a vast difference on snow, 2wd on snow in winters is great so 4wd would be brilliant.
As said what you need is another set of wheels as swapping tyres twice a year is a right pain..
Make sure though you can get correct sized tyres before buying the rims as some sizes BMW used are not easy got anymore from what was said on here.
As for 18s being better with like for like tyres I don't see there being much in it and most braking is done by the fronts anyway..
Another thing I found is winters age quickly due to the high % of natural rubber used so beware anything over 5 years the tyres are not much use (imo) I've had 2 sidewalls fail around that age and they were nokians not cheap ones either

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:19 am

If you just want one set of tyres I hear all season tyres are quite good now that would be the simplest fix. They will never be as good as winters in winter but you have a good compromise and no second set of wheels to swap and store every year.

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:32 am

:cry:
Leslie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:09 am Winters on your 20s will make a vast difference on snow, 2wd on snow in winters is great so 4wd would be brilliant.
As said what you need is another set of wheels as swapping tyres twice a year is a right pain..
Make sure though you can get correct sized tyres before buying the rims as some sizes BMW used are not easy got anymore from what was said on here.
As for 18s being better with like for like tyres I don't see there being much in it and most braking is done by the fronts anyway..
Another thing I found is winters age quickly due to the high % of natural rubber used so beware anything over 5 years the tyres are not much use (imo) I've had 2 sidewalls fail around that age and they were nokians not cheap ones either
I see what your saying I was if the thinking that due to the width of the tyres they spread the weight and basically you got 4 skis which are difficult to stop. I will try and find winter tyres but stick to a budget. Did you not use run flats. Tyres do deteriorate after certain age even if they have plenty of tread

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:52 am

No runflats here, I got a spacesaver spare and have those rotalla tyres on the front now, pair bought for rear too but the mud and snow marked tyres on have plenty of tread so never swapped them out yet.
You lack of grip is a lot more to to with them being summer tyres especially if run flat as they are rock hard in winter.
Winter tyres stay flexible as they are made of natural runner but makes them prone to cracking and ageing a lot sooner than synthetic rubber.