Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre wear question

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
dazmul1

Tyre wear question

Post by dazmul1 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:04 am

Hi guys, the outside edge of my front tyres (275/40/20) are worn badly but the rest of the tyre including the rears are 5mm across the tyre, would it be ok to change the fronts for new tyres or would I need to buy 4 and replace them all?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Tyre wear question

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:37 pm

I think 5mm is too low for new 8mm* fronts? I think you need a full wheel alignment done before spending on new tyres though.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:01 pm

I agree. Try to stay within 1.5mm or you do risk trouble. I had one tyre develop a sidewall bulge with about 4mm remaining across the set and that meant a complete change unfortunately.

Definitely worth getting a 4-wheel alignment done as many X cars come out of the factory set up towards the extreme limits rather than centre of the acceptable range.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:43 pm

There's always the part worn option but must be the same tyre type of course. At least you would get the use out of the rears :wink:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Where they runflats or normal tyres ? My normal tyres lasted no time till the outside edge of both was worn bald , I though alignment first but it proved to be spot on . I found if you are running normal tyres you must run a lot high tyre pressures especially on the front , they always looked flat before when at recommended pressure which if you think about it are low as runflats can stand up them selves with no air so they don't need high pressure, normal tyres however cannot !

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:03 pm

Don’t know if the e70 is same as e53 but I had this problem years ago with alignment showing ok. I removed the pin from the top of the strut and pushed them fully in on the slotted holes. It just showed max negative on alignment but they wear evenly until end of life. You can I believe get an eccentric bolt for the strut which will give a little more negative.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:05 pm

My somewhat limited experience with BMW cars, well 2 x previous 3 series touring and my current x5 is to run the tyre pressures especially the fronts on the top side of the recommended setting to minimise outside edge tyre wear and that is with run flats.
It could be the tracking so would you suggest you get that done if you fit new tyres.

A point to consider its a 2 ton car that handles very well so reckon there is a lot of load in corners on the front tyres, so the outside edge takes a real hammering as the tyre rolls in, if you drove something like a Land Rover Discovery in a similar manner in roundabouts or twisty roads you would certainly know it!