Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

buying E70 30d Sport

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Ritch

buying E70 30d Sport

Post by Ritch » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:09 am

hi all

I'm looking at buying a 2013 E70 30d M sport with 120k FSH.

I've viewed the X5 once already this week and the seller is keen to do a deal. My observatins are as follows, any advice or input on the following is gratefully received:

* Exterior condition and wheels is good. No dents and only 1 scratch on front bumper.
* Interior needs a damn good clean and the leather (oyster) properly cleaned and treated. Drivers seat is discoulered by jeans/denim.
* Rear tyres will need replaced within next 2-6 months. I've priced these at £470 for star rated bridgestones
* Tailgate opening and closing sounds quite grumbly and grinding. Googling suggests this is normal? I've priced replacement struts/motors at £150 each anyway.
* Rear end was sitting a couple of cm lower before engine was started. Is this normal or the air springs leaking? I've priced these at £300 for Arnott replaceents.
* A diagnostic check showed only 1 error - 49A6 Glow plug module, Replacement is £100.

If I proceed with the purchase, I'm looking at using the above to haggle down accordingly, and address the above. Any other things I should look at?

Thanks!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: buying E70 30d Sport

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:22 am

Rear tyres - change all 4 as a set or you risk transmission damage due to the new/old tread difference being wider than the 1.5mm limit. You’ll need to double your budget.

Rear ride height should hold overnight - or much longer - so that isn’t normal. Bag leaks can be checked with soapy water. It can also be a ride height sensor issue. As there’s no error it could be leaking bags.

Glow plug controller fault means it is highly likely there’s also an issue with the glow plugs themselves as they frequently cause a controller failure. That’s a job that needs some care due to the potential for the plugs to snap. If that happens you are looking at around £800 to fix (what it cost me two years ago when I had this happen) for 6 plugs and a controller plus the repair kit (£50) and labour. That was Indy pricing! Dealers will want a lot more!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Ritch

Post by Ritch » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:55 am

thanks X5Sport for the info - much appreciated. TBH my spidey senses are telingg me this is not the one for me.....

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:18 pm

Plenty out there but most will have a few problems at 120k but the issues there could cost a few grand to fix and you do need to watch tread depth between axles so 4 tyres is usually the only answer although if the front are just replaced they you will only need 2. :D Have another look round see whats about but things like rear airbags are a service item sooner or later you will have to replace them on an x5 ,do not buy the cheap ones at like 50 quid Arnott are the right thing :driving:

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:55 am

Those are common wear items glow plugs are also service items I replaced all 6 glow plugs and controller just after I purchased my car. Once you've replaced then you will get a few years out of them.