Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Propshaft died

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
DIY-PETE

Propshaft died

Post by DIY-PETE » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:32 pm

Sitting waiting for recovery, front propshaft sheared on the UV. :( Lucky I had just pulled through a set of lights when it went. Think I have a recent recall letter on my message wall for this but if it’s not the prop maybe the drive shaft.
On positive note at least it wasn’t an hour earlier on the motorway, that would have ended in tears and change in underwear.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Propshaft died

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:24 pm

There was a recall issued for front propshaft on E70 & E71 back in 2011. Some have failed after being checked by BMW and found OK. Issue is caused by corrosion on the coupling resulting in a partial seizure and failure. If I remember correctly it was the positioning of a drain above the UJ that was the root cause. If it goes at speed - and some have - it tends to smash the bottom of the engine resulting in very expensive repairs. Mine was done at the time and the car only had about 12k on it but it was failing. BMW have had to pay out for new engines on some cars.

At least yours happened at low speed.

Anyone buying a used E70/71 from 2010/2011 should check whether the recall has been carried out, and even if it has the poor detection rate I think warrants a recheck. The test was simply to check for play by hand (!) and very arbitrary rather than against specific measurements. There have been too many failures after recall checking.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:11 am

These sorts of failures are pretty troubling on a pedigree vehicle from a prestige brand.

Lets hope BMW not only pick up the bill but lend you something nice while its sorted.

DIY-PETE

Post by DIY-PETE » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:00 pm

Well they still have the car, kind enough to send me a service appraisal which by the way I didn't ask for. Apparently 5.5 mm of tread on rear tyres is an amber warning on their traffic light system.
However they also point out I have a worn front bottom ball joint, strangely enough can't find much information on these, and with car still with them I don't know whether these are similar to the E53 ones.
I have looked on realom and find this is not clear as a part/number or is it they are just listing a complete control arm complete with bushings/balljoints?
Wise words anyone?

Cheers

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Its a complete control arm with balljoint in it , replaced two on my e70 last year about 500 a side fitted from bmw I recall I was quoted :o I paid 180 the pair for lemforder ones (oe)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:01 pm

If it’s anything like my X6 then the suspension arms are cast aluminium and I think are only available as complete items, though the mounting bushes are available separately. Two arms at the bottom and one at the top. Each ‘arm’ is available separately though, but not cheap.....well it’s a BMW so that goes without saying! There are Lemforder (or similar) after market options available on Carparts4less (ECP on line only) and cheaper.

DIY-PETE

Post by DIY-PETE » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:25 pm

Article number: 273C0665
Fitting Position:
Front Axle, Right, Lower
Steering arm type:
Control Arm
RIDEX:
Track Control Arm
Item number:
273C0665
Our price:
48,44 £
Manufacturer part number:
273C0665
Manufacturer:
RIDEX
EAN number:
Condition
New
Is this the one people, is doesn't look like aluminium more like cast steel, but then a X6 is posher than a X5 :D
cheers.

DIY-PETE

Post by DIY-PETE » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:51 pm

screen shot from the video they sent me, am I right in saying this the lower wishbone ball joint? Not the control arm as in the last entry I put in.
screen shot from the video they sent me, am I right in saying this the lower wishbone ball joint? Not the control arm as in the last entry I put in.
IMG_0545.png (628.68 KiB) Viewed 1732 times

DIY-PETE

Post by DIY-PETE » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:09 pm

Heres the new prop shaft unable to get access to the car yet, it seems the service dept is shut til Monday. Meanwhile driving the daughters Meriva + blackbox. I'm spending more time watching the speedo than looking at the road, definitely deleting the blackbox on insurance renewal!!
Heres the new prop shaft unable to get access to the car yet, it seems the service dept is shut til Monday. Meanwhile driving the daughters Meriva + blackbox. I'm spending more time watching the speedo than looking at the road, definitely deleting the blackbox on insurance renewal!!
IMG_0548.png (717.4 KiB) Viewed 1732 times

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:56 pm

DIY-PETE wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:25 pm
New
Is this the one people, is doesn't look like aluminium more like cast steel, but then a X6 is posher than a X5 :D
cheers.
Think it is steel for track control arm, certainly felt to heavy for aluminium , x6 will be the same as its just an x5 in a frock :rofl: :poke: :driving: Id say though you buy cheap and well you often buy twice as that's too cheap (imo)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Perhaps it is steel. Mine might be painted with an aluminium anti-corrosion paint, unless it’s made of a tarty stainless? There’s no rust on any of them hence me thinking they’re all Alu. Can’t see BMW spending an extra cent on stainless though. The X6 is still an X5, just with less headroom in the back and a wider arse!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:45 pm

The track control arms are usually black and are hard to see unless car was on a lift and are a much heavier construction than the others ,upper wishbone is alloy and quite light duty as it doesn't have as much work to do :D
Talking of corrosion my rear subframe needs cleaned and painted before it is scrap , corrosion is quite heavy now and I'm not talking surface rust either ,was shocked at the state of it :( The salt is eating the hell out of it.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:51 pm

I use a Karcher underbody washer to try and keep the salt under control as soon as they stop chucking it on the roads. Can’t find it listed anywhere at present. Might be stock issues due to COVID affecting production etc.

DIY-PETE

Post by DIY-PETE » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:07 am

Well I’ve taken a punt and ordered what is described as lower wishbone on realOEM for both sides. I’m guessing hopefully that should see me through problem after market parts are a minefield to negotiate through as someone has always had a problem no matter what you choose.
I have gone down the febi bolstering route could of got them a lot cheaper and hopefully they will arrive not long after I retrieve my car (by the way, just on the 108K now)
Cheers

DIY-PETE

Post by DIY-PETE » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:09 am

Bloody text gets altered, febi- bilstein :headbang: