Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Drain

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Smatty

Battery Drain

Post by Smatty » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:58 am

Right, my XDrive system failed last week, and the garage has claimed it is a battery drain. As i had driven circa 300 miles at the time of the failure, they agreed this couldn't be right.

They than tried to blame the battery drain on the non-bmw tow bar i've had fitted. This has to be bollocks doesn't it :x

Minda

Re: Battery Drain

Post by Minda » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Yeah will have to agree with you, the stealers will try to blame everything else first, battery drain seems to be a common problem according to other forums, some due to faulty batteries or leads. if possible and not in use atm disconnect the tow bar electrics and see how it goes just to prove them wrong.
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Smatty, this is not the first time an e70 owner has had battery drain issues and I'm sure not the last. Always very easy for a dealer to blame non-BMW fitted parts first as most seem to be completely unable to sort electrical issues out 1st time around :mad:

How can tow bar electrics drain a battery of course I am asuming no trailer was fitted at the time of course.

Did the tow bar fitter use the BMW wiring loom when installing your bar? if so its back in the dealers hands to sort this out or try another dealer :wink:
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:26 pm

A common problem with the E70.

From my experience the E70s don't seem to like having non factory stuff put on.

My car went back at least half a dozen times with this fault and I kept tellling them it was the BMW approved tracker (RAC Trackstar)

They had it back trying something each time and I insisted it was the tracker.

After demanding that they stopped fucking around and rip it out and put it in another tracker make (which I had on my 535 without problem) the problem all but disappeared. And I think I have seen it once or twice only after that in the depths of winter having used all the electrical items and done small journeys.

I don't think the battery was actually low but it puts the car in to a 'shut-down' state and the welcome lights don't work, the clock looses time etc etc

There is a chap with an E70, don't think he is on here, that put in a heavy duty battery and he claims he hasn't had any problems since

Good luck

PS you don't have the pan roof aswell do you !?
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport