Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MODS PLEASE STICKY : WARNING - BMW THEFTS - WITH FOB KEYS

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
shocks

MODS PLEASE STICKY : WARNING - BMW THEFTS - WITH FOB KEYS

Post by shocks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Folks,

Been a while since I posted here but thought I'd share a link to a thread on PH - stay safe out there - No fix from BMW yet...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=72&t=1121571&mid=219458&i=820&nmt=New+BMW%27s+getting+stolen+using+blank+BMW+keys&mid=219458
Current
Macan GTS
M135, the commuter
991 GT3 - The Toy III

History
E39 520 - family lugger
E53 4.4 Sport
E70-FL 4.0d M-Sport; Lots of toys
996 Turbo - The Toy
991 Cab S - The Toy II
numerous others...

doc4246

Re: MODS PLEASE STICKY : WARNING - BMW THEFTS - WITH FOB KEYS

Post by doc4246 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Good to see that some of the techy types on the other forums (PH et al) really looking into some solutions...but still looks like there's a 'device' that's getting them into the vehicle by opening the door without forcing it/drilling out lock/breaking glass...

I've just had all the soft/firm ware on my car updated at a recent visit to a dealer for a load of work and a service...unfortunately I didn't get what version I now have but will be calling them to find out and to directly ask if this resolves the ability for blank electronic fobs to be programmed from plugging a device into the OBD socket...

But this is a worrying increasing trend...and black is the preference...although out in certain parts of Africa, Central America, Central and South East Asia the respray costs little to do and the results are pretty good all considering (I'm not an expert by any means but I couldn't honestly notice the original colour and resprays I've seen on recovered vehicles in the field) - so any colour is at risk - especially if well optioned...as this adds the possibility of just breaking for parts if it becomes too hot to move intact.
2007 (57) MY07 Titanium Silver E70 X5 SE 5S 4.8i V8 Auto

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:33 pm

I have to admit to being one of the sceptics around here the first time this appeared on the Forum a few weeks back....for which I can only say sorry.... :-[

Having now read a lot more threads all over the place, I'm somewhat more concerned.  I did challenge my local dealer....who denied all knowledge and said it wasn't possible (I pointed him at his pc and 'suggested he used a well known search engine to look it up)!

I've just unearthed a pair of 1990's vintage Stoplock devices and found the keys and put both into use.  It was whilst fitting the one into mine that I realised that of course without a mechanical type key, there isn't a steering lock either - or at least waggling mine didn't drop a lock pawl into place.

Unless there's a a way of getting the profile raised so that it impacts BMW Sales figures - at which point they'll notice - we're going to have a denialfest from BMW GB.

I'm just wondering what can really be done to stop it at source?  Short of putting a block of code into the cars that requires a digital certificate that is only issued inside the programming software and only available from BMW without which the car won't accept a new key.  In other words the new key, certified coding unit and car all have to be together and possibly 'on line' to BMW at the same time.  Some of the cars have ethernet ports on them which makes this one possibility, but not others. 

I would hope that some protection will be loaded into the cars very soon, but it may be two years from that point before all the affected models are protected simply because of the service cycle.  I can't see BMW GB telling all the Owners of all the cars sold since the new key came into use, to get their cars into their Dealers, and VOSA won't demand a recall as it's not an operational safety critical issue.

I will keep the pressure up on my Dealer though.  I don't expect the phone drones at BMW GB will do other than spout corporate denials.

Very worrying this, and so obvious a hole you have to wonder who dropped the ball here?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:31 pm

I wrote to the chief Editor of Auto Express about this and he has responded saying that they are about to run an article on this very issue, indeed he has seen a "shocking demonstration" of just how easy it is to do.  Watch this space!

AE has been tracking the story for a while.  Methinks more than a few Dealers are going to end up with owners turning up with a copy of the magazine and demanding the Dealers sort it out and quickly.  Be difficult for the denials to continue!

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 am

Here is a recorded example on a 1M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHo-GYG25Q
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:40 am

[quote="pvr"]
Here is a recorded example on a 1M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHo-GYG25Q
[/quote]

Can't quite see on the iPhone but what did they do with the window/alarm?

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:41 am

Smash window, create key from OBD

911 50th anniversary -

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:48 am

[quote="pvr"]
Smash window, create key from OBD
[/quote]

Shouldn't the alarm go off once window is smashed? I know about the creating cloned keys from the OBD and you can see once coded they deactivate alarm/central locking but would have thought the alarm would be going off as soon as they smash the window and start leaning in?

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 am

Does not seem to do that. I know that on my M, I have to go really low in the car for the alarm to go off (i.e. seat level or even lower). I assume the glass is not enough movement.

911 50th anniversary -

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:27 am

[quote="pvr"]
Does not seem to do that. I know that on my M, I have to go really low in the car for the alarm to go off (i.e. seat level or even lower). I assume the glass is not enough movement.
[/quote]

So BMW need to address their alarm systems too then...lol

V12 EGO

Post by V12 EGO » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Like others have said, there is no fix from BMW yet but this problem isn't confined to BMW it appears to be an issue with just about any car that no longer has a proper key including Audi, Seat, Volkswagen etc.

I don't think Mercs are as exposed.

The Alpina guys are resorting to using DiskLok on the basis that modern thieves won't carry the tools or have the time to remove a steering wheel lock. Other options include disabling the ODB port.
Regards,

James
2011 F10 520d ED
2007 E70 X5 3.0d SE (SOLD)
2007 E91 Alpina D3 (SOLD)
2005 E65 750i Sport (SOLD)
2005 E65 730d Sport (SOLD)
2001 E39 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (SOLD)
2001 E39 Alpina B10 V8 (SOLD)
1999 E38 750iL (SOLD)
1997 E38 750iL (SOLD)

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:09 pm

[quote="V12 EGO"]
Like others have said, there is no fix from BMW yet but this problem isn't confined to BMW it appears to be an issue with just about any car that no longer has a proper key including Audi, Seat, Volkswagen etc.

I don't think Mercs are as exposed.

The Alpina guys are resorting to using DiskLok on the basis that modern thieves won't carry the tools or have the time to remove a steering wheel lock. Other options include disabling the ODB port.
[/quote]

as above would it not be worth going into the dash and moving/disabling the obd port? also no idea if it would work on something that new but a favourite of mine on old cars is an ultra simple solution of a hidden switch for the fuel pump, no fuel no cars and as it turns over there is only so long a theif will sit there turning a car over that seems to not start and will do one, and also in this case they will probly assume there key isnt working and leave, might be stupid but just an idea that could be done for pence and only take a few hours which may just save your car, to add it works with an e53
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Tbh most driver won't know where the ODB port is, let alone have the technical ability to put an inline switch in....
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:38 pm

I've gone with the Disklok option until a proper fix is found.  BMW should have already released it, but Dealers know nothing of one unless it's a pre-2010 car.

V12 EGO

Post by V12 EGO » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 am

[quote="X5Sport"]
I've gone with the Disklok option until a proper fix is found.  BMW should have already released it, but Dealers know nothing of one unless it's a pre-2010 car.
[/quote]

Why does pre-2010 make a difference. I was under the impression that the problem affected anything with a start button and the electronic key?
Regards,

James
2011 F10 520d ED
2007 E70 X5 3.0d SE (SOLD)
2007 E91 Alpina D3 (SOLD)
2005 E65 750i Sport (SOLD)
2005 E65 730d Sport (SOLD)
2001 E39 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (SOLD)
2001 E39 Alpina B10 V8 (SOLD)
1999 E38 750iL (SOLD)
1997 E38 750iL (SOLD)