Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Service Inclusive - Yes or No

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
shocks

Service Inclusive - Yes or No

Post by shocks » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Folks,

As the date nears - hell should be posting this in my thread on E70 order to compete with Minda's biblical one :rofl: - anyways trying to decide if I should go for the Service Inclusive and whether it's worth it or not - either in standard or plus form...

What's the thoughts folks ?

Cheers

Shocks
Current
Macan GTS
M135, the commuter
991 GT3 - The Toy III

History
E39 520 - family lugger
E53 4.4 Sport
E70-FL 4.0d M-Sport; Lots of toys
996 Turbo - The Toy
991 Cab S - The Toy II
numerous others...

Minda

Re: Service Inclusive - Yes or No

Post by Minda » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 pm

I went for the plus, after some advice, and now sounds like good advice, its a heavy vehicle with plenty of power, so the pads and discs could take a beating.
The standard is good value too, but suppose if just depends on how long you plan to keep it, although some would say it adds value too.
Probably even more confused now oopps.
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 pm

The Dealer has included the standard service pack FOC with my E71 order, but I can offer the following with regard to me E53.

When I bought it in 2005 I chose to pay an extra £1200 for a 5 year/60,000 mile service pack as the Dealer told me that I should expect to have a service every year to 18 months, to go through a set of pads a year, and a set of rotors every 18 months or so. It also meant that I could have new bulbs or wiper blades etc at any time. Seemed a reasonable deal when compared to the actual parts and labour costs for the anticipated component changes he suggested would be needed. It should have saved me about £700 over the no service deal prices.

In fact I am on the same rotors and pads after nearly 6 years and 44,000 miles and bulbs and wiper blades etc can only be changed at the time of servicing, and then ONLY if the Dealer recommends the changes! To be honest I felt it was a complete rip off as I only needed 2 oil services, 2 time based services and an Inspection 1. There is no way that came to £1200! The wiper blades were only changed once as the next time they needed doing the dealership had changed hands and the techie said they were fine - which they weren't - so I had to get a set from Halfords and pay myself.

What does stun me is the new Service Inclusive Scheme prices if you buy them after you get the car. How BMW can justify those charges I really don't know. Personally I would think very hard about whether you need the Inclusive Plus pack and compare it against how likely you will need all it offers and the costs of paying as you go so to speak.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StumpyPete

Post by StumpyPete » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:02 pm

I agree with it being a rip-off. Servicing costs for neither my E70 or previous E53 came anywhere near the cost of the service inclusive package.

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:32 pm

I suppose it would be more cost effective If you do serious mileage like 30k per annum, It’s a shame they need a technician to confirm wipers need changing I would of thought that was down to the driver.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:38 am

Not really as it would expire as soon as you hit the Mileage limit of 60,000. So after 2 years you would be coughing up again anyway for servicing and repairs!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:16 am

[quote=""Turks""]Not really as it would expire as soon as you hit the Mileage limit of 60,000. So after 2 years you would be coughing up again anyway for servicing and repairs!

Turks.[/quote]

Totally forgot about mileage limit in that case this system is just another money making scheme like them all and just designed to put the frighteners on you to cough up more money. This is my first X and I change my cars regularly well generally every two years maximum three and have only ever had to change tyres on the Porsche (rears) and general servicing. I generally do about 1000 miles per month just dependent on how busy I am current car received 19th November Mileage at 1300 will be 1500 by weekend as have non stop appointments all week. I suppose you need to look at your driving patterns and from then you can work out if any benefit at all, I suppose if you have 4 punctures a year certainly is but who ever has that. I am sure someone will come up soon.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:02 am

I imagine there is alot of science and stats behind these 'offers' or 'deals' but none of them would be geared towards BMW making less cash!

They will have placed into the equation the Services requires over 60,000 miles.. INSP1, Oil Service, INSP2 and thats about it, plus maybe a set of Brakes.. then added a contingency % to that value and then added VAT!

Also remember that potentially they have your money 5 years before it is due! Although Interest rates are rubbish at the moment, surely the money is better in your bank? Cash is King and all that!

Turks.
Present:

Past:

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:20 pm

[quote=""NewX5""][quote=""Turks""]Not really as it would expire as soon as you hit the Mileage limit of 60,000. So after 2 years you would be coughing up again anyway for servicing and repairs!

Turks.[/quote]

Totally forgot about mileage limit in that case this system is just another money making scheme like them all and just designed to put the frighteners on you to cough up more money. This is my first X and I change my cars regularly well generally every two years maximum three and have only ever had to change tyres on the Porsche (rears) and general servicing. I generally do about 1000 miles per month just dependent on how busy I am current car received 19th November Mileage at 1300 will be 1500 by weekend as have non stop appointments all week. I suppose you need to look at your driving patterns and from then you can work out if any benefit at all, I suppose if you have 4 punctures a year certainly is but who ever has that. I am sure someone will come up soon.[/quote]

What has 4 punctures a year got to do with it.
If that is covered and tyre replacement, I am sure if it was mine I could arrange the necessary punctures.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:48 pm

I have got a Tyre Insurance policy which I took when I got my car... to date I haven't used it and it runs out in April (2 Years). I don't know why but i've got a feeling that a nail might go in my tyre in January...

Turks.
Present:

Past:

jay

Post by jay » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:32 am

To the OP - I didnt go for the service inclusive when i bought my x5 sd in dec 2009. And I am pleased i didn't! I have done 14k miles in its first year and the service indicator is still saying 8k miles to first oil service. On the idrive menu it also displays (although i'm not sure how accurate it is) when other major parts are due for service - it currently says another 60k for rear brakes, 49k for front brakes, 2013 for exhaust/body inspection. So from my useage in 3years it should only really need two routine services at the most. However it is booked in for its annual routine maintenance check next week so i will feedback what they say.
2009 e70 x5 sd
2001 e46 m3
1989 golf mk2 vr6