Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear DVD Options

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
NewX5

Rear DVD Options

Post by NewX5 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi guys not long left for me now with dealer 16th November expected collection date 30th November looking forward to some space finally. Anyway just wanted to find out what you guys think about Rear DVD setup for kids I decided against the factory option due to only having one screen and cost. I was initially looking at getting set fitted in headrests but have just got a nextbase duo deluxe setup from colleague who is not using with Infrared headphones & stanchion mounts. I just wanted to see if there are any recommendations other than factory option and also any suitable installers as most I have spoken with generally try and sell the headrest already built which I don’t want to change. If anyone also has nextbase setup would be interested in feedback. Thanks
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

Monkeyman

Re: Rear DVD Options

Post by Monkeyman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:10 pm

This was the option I was lucky enough to find in the rear of my X5 when I purchased it.....

http://roveractive.biz/product_info.php ... 3b3f733b7b

Trying to find a better picture......
Previous

E30 325i 2 door
E36 323i Coupe
Volvo T4........God knows why....but damm quick
E60 530d M Sport
E70 3.0sd SE Space Grey

Current

E70 3.0sd M Sport Carbon Black

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks for that info never seen that site before could possibly be handy in the future. I looked at the advanced rear system which by the pictures looks far too cumbersome the mounting on the headrests what were they thinking about. I think the nextbase setup looks far better with the stanchion mounts just the power wire which will do my head in, I suppose I am never in the back so should not bother me too much.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

MaXX99

Post by MaXX99 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Personally I have the Nextbase Click & Go 10 installed in the rear, but you could also fit a 7 or 9" screen instead of the 10" I have.
It is a wonderful system where you have a fixed mount with all cables in it which attaches to the headrest. Afterwards you just have to slide the screen on it.
I have the stanchion mounts and cables permanently attached.

It is a quick and clean solution which i recommend to everyone, although it is quite expensive ...

http://www.nextbase-europe.com/clickgo-products.html

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 pm

I was given the complete duo delux 7 set with stanchion mounts & infra-red headphones so hopefully that will do them unfortunately can test until car arrives 30th Nov but seems a good solution at the moment. I just hope the size will suit although I am not sure would of been able to get much larger in headrest.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:14 pm

I saw a pair of headrest mounted dvd screens in the local dealership yesterday and at £299 look good value

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/accessories/new_products

Not sure how much the Infrared headphones are but looks like a possibility for me.
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks for that Rusty looks exactly the same as the Nextbase setup other than branding just tested the setup I have this weekend and works a treat just need an X5 (Nov 30th) to get the real thumbs up from the kids. So glad I did not go with the BMW built in unit with only one screen all the other suitable options I have seen look great. Hopefully I will be able to get Nextbase setup hard wired and lose the irritation of having to plug into cigarette lighter when needed.

On another note have you decided on what model X5 you’re going to get i.e. SE or M spec, I don’t really know much but when we ordered ours went mainly with M Spec because of body panels being coloured although we did not investigate SE option after test driving M Spec. I would be interested to know your view If you have test drove them both or why you might go for one over the other. Thanks
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:26 pm

The only dvd option i like in the e70 that i have seen is the centre console one like in Avtars that folds down.I don't like the other options much as thay don't look like they belong there...... just my opinion of course :)
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:08 pm

x555 Unfortunately BMW option is not flexible enough and really no benefit if you have 2 kids in the rear of car of different age.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 pm

[quote=""NewX5""]On another note have you decided on what model X5 you’re going to get i.e. SE or M spec, I don’t really know much but when we ordered ours went mainly with M Spec because of body panels being coloured although we did not investigate SE option after test driving M Spec. I would be interested to know your view If you have test drove them both or why you might go for one over the other.[/quote]

I agree that the M Spec looks the better of the two having the colour coded arches etc (also is slightly wider as the front wings etc are flared). That said, it appears that many M Spec add running boards etc to match the SE? The addition of the Dynamic pack on the SE adds the larger wheels eg 20" Y spoke 214's to make it more like an M. It all seems to be based around those colour codings and price.

Having spoken to a few stealers today, the SE appears more popular because of the more forgiving ride?

All I know at the moment is that I'm very confused :? :headbang:

I shall update as and when I try others and or buy something.
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:47 am

[quote=""NewX5""]x555 Unfortunately BMW option is not flexible enough and really no benefit if you have 2 kids in the rear of car of different age.[/quote]

I hear you there NewX5 ;) i have a four year old and a seven year old.One wants high school musical etc and the other one ones thomas the tank :rofl: hence why i have two individual dvd's built into the headrests :D
I'm sure those systems work great i just don't like the look of them and also they are on display for the light fingered.

Avtar

Post by Avtar » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 am

[quote=""x555""]The only dvd option i like in the e70 that i have seen is the centre console one like in Avtars that folds down.I don't like the other options much as thay don't look like they belong there...... just my opinion of course :)[/quote]

They should be grateful they have a screen in the back and can watch the same film..................

Kids these days eh............
Current Drives:

Alpina D5 BiTurbo
E70 3.0sD SE (Sold)
E46 330 Convertible
Alpina B3 S BiTurbo (SOLD)

History:

E39 528 Sport, 530 Sport
E38 735 Sport
E36 318iS, 320, 325

Avtar

Post by Avtar » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:25 am

[quote=""rusty nail""][quote=""NewX5""]On another note have you decided on what model X5 you’re going to get i.e. SE or M spec, I don’t really know much but when we ordered ours went mainly with M Spec because of body panels being coloured although we did not investigate SE option after test driving M Spec. I would be interested to know your view If you have test drove them both or why you might go for one over the other.[/quote]

I agree that the M Spec looks the better of the two having the colour coded arches etc (also is slightly wider as the front wings etc are flared). That said, it appears that many M Spec add running boards etc to match the SE? The addition of the Dynamic pack on the SE adds the larger wheels eg 20" Y spoke 214's to make it more like an M. It all seems to be based around those colour codings and price.

Having spoken to a few stealers today, the SE appears more popular because of the more forgiving ride?

All I know at the moment is that I'm very confused :? :headbang:

I shall update as and when I try others and or buy something.[/quote]

You could go for the combination I have which is an SE with the Aero Pack that is all fully colour coded, there are pictures of mine the 'meets/events section - west london meet Page 4' if you want to see what it looks like.
Current Drives:

Alpina D5 BiTurbo
E70 3.0sD SE (Sold)
E46 330 Convertible
Alpina B3 S BiTurbo (SOLD)

History:

E39 528 Sport, 530 Sport
E38 735 Sport
E36 318iS, 320, 325

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:05 pm

[quote=""Avtar""] You could go for the combination I have which is an SE with the Aero Pack that is all fully colour coded, there are pictures of mine the 'meets/events section - west london meet Page 4' if you want to see what it looks like.[/quote]

Now that is what I call a great looking car Avtar.

Is the Aero pack available as an aftermarket option? Did you have it fitted (can I be cheeky and ask how much if you did? PM me if you don't wish to advertise)

I am still searching for the right car and have various dealers looking for me. But I do like yours......... :driving: :thumbsup:

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:00 pm

[quote=""rusty nail""][quote=""Avtar""] You could go for the combination I have which is an SE with the Aero Pack that is all fully colour coded, there are pictures of mine the 'meets/events section - west london meet Page 4' if you want to see what it looks like.[/quote]

Now that is what I call a great looking car Avtar.

Is the Aero pack available as an aftermarket option? Did you have it fitted (can I be cheeky and ask how much if you did? PM me if you don't wish to advertise)

I am still searching for the right car and have various dealers looking for me. But I do like yours......... :driving: :thumbsup:[/quote]

You're not wrong there i have seen this car in the flesh and been in it and it is the muts nuts :D