Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 xDrive40D fuel economy

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Re: X5 xDrive40D full economy

Post by 535dboy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:29 pm

[quote=""Smatty""]

Where at - I spoke with one from bmwland and he said there wasn't a map available for the E70 yet? :([/quote]

There isn't for the 40d yet but there always has been for the 35d

Power up to 350bhp and torque to 700nm(which is the max anybody sensible would do)
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

Smatty

Post by Smatty » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 am

[quote=""535dboy""][quote=""Smatty""]

Where at - I spoke with one from bmwland and he said there wasn't a map available for the E70 yet? :([/quote]

Power up to 350bhp and torque to 700nm(which is the max anybody sensible would do)[/quote]

I feel all alone in my 40d :(

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:37 am

[quote=""Smatty""][quote=""535dboy""][quote=""Smatty""]

Power up to 350bhp and torque to 700nm(which is the max anybody sensible would do)[/quote]

I feel all alone in my 40d :([/quote]

You would be left all in your own at a traffic light grand prix! :D
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

Minda

Post by Minda » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:34 pm

[quote=""Smatty""][quote=""535dboy""][quote=""Smatty""]

I feel all alone in my 40d :([/quote]
:rofl: Your not alone :D
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:52 pm

[quote=""535dboy""]There isn't for the 40d yet but there always has been for the 35d

Damn you 535dboy :headbang: I knew I should have gone for the e61 535d, however with mpg @ 45+ I can't complain :P maybe I'll have the 20d looked at one day :roll:
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

SimonD

Re: X5 xDrive40D fuel economy

Post by SimonD » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:31 pm

After 4000 miles, I'm seeing about 34 mpg on the motorway. But only when I use the active cruise control, which accelerates and brakes for you, based on the traffic ahead. The electronics are alot more gentle at applying the throttle than I am. This is really great technology for fuel saving (though is not foolproof from a safety point of view - had a few "near misses" - you still need to pay attention).

Expect about 30 mpg when not using active cruise on the motorway.

Around town, getting mid-twenties when not "enjoying" self.

Overall - unhappy with advertised consumption. These stats are a third down on the official figures.

My other car is a Toyota Prius. This car teaches you fuel conserving driving techniques via the Eco gauge on the HUD. Basic stuff: accelerate very gently and conserve momentum. Sounds boring - actually quite fun to see if you can hit 70 mpg on any given journey (best I've got is about 68 mpg).
2011 BMW X5 40d SE - Black Sapphire - Oyster - Bamboo - Active Cruise - HUD - Media Pack - Power Tail - 3 Cameras - Heated Stuff

MJim

Post by MJim » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi SimonD - I'm going for Active Cruise, and HUD - what were the near misses ? Was it down to people cutting in or did the system not read the traffic ahead correctly?
It's a shame the actual economy is way off the BMW figures - and quoting combined figures so far off just shouldn't be permitted. I wonder if turning the aircon off makes a big difference - although should make next to none with the weather we've been getting! I also wonder what the real CO2 numbers are!? However, thanks to these forums I'm going in with my eyes open ....
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:35 pm

[quote=""SimonD""]After 4000 miles, I'm seeing about 34 mpg on the motorway. But only when I use the active cruise control, which accelerates and brakes for you, based on the traffic ahead. The electronics are alot more gentle at applying the throttle than I am. This is really great technology for fuel saving (though is not foolproof from a safety point of view - had a few "near misses" - you still need to pay attention).

Expect about 30 mpg when not using active cruise on the motorway.

Around town, getting mid-twenties when not "enjoying" self.

Overall - unhappy with advertised consumption. These stats are a third down on the official figures.[/quote]

I personally think 4000 miles is too early to give a true indication of real work fuel consumption. Albeit it is common knowledge that very rarely does a BMW meet anything like the stated figures. Mrs Chompers 123d is now at 18.5k and has just tipped over an indicated 50mpg mark on the OBC for the first time (Car now 3years old) and BMW state 54.3mpg, granted she drives like a nun :roll:

By the way, good to have you on board SimonD :thumbsup: don't forget to post in the newbie section and say hi to the rest of the crowd :driving:
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

MJim

Post by MJim » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

@Rogerramjet - what suspension / wheels set up do you have out of interest ?

SimonD

Post by SimonD » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 am

[quote=""MJim""]Hi SimonD - I'm going for Active Cruise, and HUD - what were the near misses ? Was it down to people cutting in or did the system not read the traffic ahead correctly?
It's a shame the actual economy is way off the BMW figures - and quoting combined figures so far off just shouldn't be permitted. I wonder if turning the aircon off makes a big difference - although should make next to none with the weather we've been getting! I also wonder what the real CO2 numbers are!? However, thanks to these forums I'm going in with my eyes open ....[/quote]

Will probably create a separate thread for this, but here's my experience of Active Cruise .....

Generally - absolutely amazing. Only had car a month - already find it weird when driving other cars that don't have it. This will be standard on all but the most basic cars within a decade, no doubt. Makes motorway, dual-carriageway or even urban roads (works from 20mph) much more relaxing to drive - you have to concentrate a little less - but there's the danger!

The system does NOT react to stationary objects. Think about that for a minute! The electronics ignore all objects that are stationary when the radar first detects them.

It will track vehicles in front which are slowing down - and brake you down to the same speed. Even down to a complete halt. Then re-start you (if you press the accelerator pedal lightly once to confirm). This is great - and is what you need on British motorways in waves of stop-start traffic.

HOWEVER, if you come over the brow of a hill, to find a queue of stationary cars ahead, the electronics will NOT respond. No assistance, no braking. BANG!
It may even accelerate you towards the danger up to your desired speed.

On the M25 yesterday, I was in the middle lane. Way in the distance, the middle lane was coming to a halt. The car in front of me slowed. Active cruise slowed me from about 70 to about 40, responding to the car in front. Then the car in front moved into the fast lane with no obstruction, out of my way. The next car in front of me in the distance was now stationary, at the tail end of the queue. Radar ignores all objects that are stationary when it first detects them. Now, cruise control boots the throttle hard, trying to accelerate me back up to 70. HELP! .... now heading for the queue in a hurry. Had to slam on the brakes, about 2 seconds from disaster.

Second criticism. Whilst I stated in my earlier post "Active cruise applies the throttle much more gently that I can", it still does it too hard around some corners. The X5 manual states that Active Cruise consults mapping data in the Professional Nav system to determine the appropriate response to the road geography. I presumed that this meant the electronics knows the radius of curves, and calculates the maximum safe acceleration to achieve your desired velocity around bends - but this doesn't seem to be the case, or doesn't work.

Example - M11 north goes onto M25 via a sharp left hand bend with 2 lanes. I'm doing 50 following a car on the M11 with cruise set to 70. Speed restricted by the electronics. We both move left to join the M25. Car moves out of the way, or I move into the second lane (same outcome). Obstruction removed from radar's view. Active cruise boots me back to 70. Bend tightens sharply. Uphill gradient, full kickdown 3 or so gears. All of a sudden, 305 bhp is driving itself and me into trouble. Have to brake violently and disengage the system. Just didn't feel I could trust the traction control to stop me spinning even though it would. What the system should do is read the mapping data for the road ahead .... "bend tightening for the next 400 meters" - and delay acceleration until after this road section has been passed.

Overall, still mightily impressed. But it could kill you one day if you're not on the ball!

Note: New F10 5 series has an extra system which does respond to stationary traffic in the urban environment, rather like Volvo's City Safety system (seen video on YouTube).
2011 BMW X5 40d SE - Black Sapphire - Oyster - Bamboo - Active Cruise - HUD - Media Pack - Power Tail - 3 Cameras - Heated Stuff

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36 am

Interesting

Only used it a couple of times on a 635d and a range rover

Didn't experience those probs

Still think it is a lot of money though
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

Iainm

Post by Iainm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm averaging between 35.8 and 37.4mpg

AMD will remap it as will DMS!! Mines booked into AMD :)

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:46 pm

[quote=""SimonD""][quote=""MJim""]Hi SimonD - I'm going for Active Cruise, and HUD - what were the near misses ? Was it down to people cutting in or did the system not read the traffic ahead correctly?
It's a shame the actual economy is way off the BMW figures - and quoting combined figures so far off just shouldn't be permitted. I wonder if turning the aircon off makes a big difference - although should make next to none with the weather we've been getting! I also wonder what the real CO2 numbers are!? However, thanks to these forums I'm going in with my eyes open ....[/quote]

Will probably create a separate thread for this, but here's my experience of Active Cruise .....

Generally - absolutely amazing. Only had car a month - already find it weird when driving other cars that don't have it. This will be standard on all but the most basic cars within a decade, no doubt. Makes motorway, dual-carriageway or even urban roads (works from 20mph) much more relaxing to drive - you have to concentrate a little less - but there's the danger!

The system does NOT react to stationary objects. Think about that for a minute! The electronics ignore all objects that are stationary when the radar first detects them.

It will track vehicles in front which are slowing down - and brake you down to the same speed. Even down to a complete halt. Then re-start you (if you press the accelerator pedal lightly once to confirm). This is great - and is what you need on British motorways in waves of stop-start traffic.

HOWEVER, if you come over the brow of a hill, to find a queue of stationary cars ahead, the electronics will NOT respond. No assistance, no braking. BANG!
It may even accelerate you towards the danger up to your desired speed.

On the M25 yesterday, I was in the middle lane. Way in the distance, the middle lane was coming to a halt. The car in front of me slowed. Active cruise slowed me from about 70 to about 40, responding to the car in front. Then the car in front moved into the fast lane with no obstruction, out of my way. The next car in front of me in the distance was now stationary, at the tail end of the queue. Radar ignores all objects that are stationary when it first detects them. Now, cruise control boots the throttle hard, trying to accelerate me back up to 70. HELP! .... now heading for the queue in a hurry. Had to slam on the brakes, about 2 seconds from disaster.

Second criticism. Whilst I stated in my earlier post "Active cruise applies the throttle much more gently that I can", it still does it too hard around some corners. The X5 manual states that Active Cruise consults mapping data in the Professional Nav system to determine the appropriate response to the road geography. I presumed that this meant the electronics knows the radius of curves, and calculates the maximum safe acceleration to achieve your desired velocity around bends - but this doesn't seem to be the case, or doesn't work.

Example - M11 north goes onto M25 via a sharp left hand bend with 2 lanes. I'm doing 50 following a car on the M11 with cruise set to 70. Speed restricted by the electronics. We both move left to join the M25. Car moves out of the way, or I move into the second lane (same outcome). Obstruction removed from radar's view. Active cruise boots me back to 70. Bend tightens sharply. Uphill gradient, full kickdown 3 or so gears. All of a sudden, 305 bhp is driving itself and me into trouble. Have to brake violently and disengage the system. Just didn't feel I could trust the traction control to stop me spinning even though it would. What the system should do is read the mapping data for the road ahead .... "bend tightening for the next 400 meters" - and delay acceleration until after this road section has been passed.

Overall, still mightily impressed. But it could kill you one day if you're not on the ball!

Note: New F10 5 series has an extra system which does respond to stationary traffic in the urban environment, rather like Volvo's City Safety system (seen video on YouTube).[/quote]

I have a similar system fitted to my Honda C-RV. As well as being an active cruise control, to acts as a safety device in that if an impending impact is detected the system will warm you, and if required apply the brakes and pre-tension the seat belts. Although it will not stop you hitting the object it will slow you down making the impact less likely to be very serious. Cost wise, can't remember details but no way near BMW prices.

Don

MJim

Post by MJim » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:50 pm

@ SimonD - many thanks for the full exlanation - very helpful. Does sound like a flaw with the system. You'd have thought that the failure to react to stationary objects would be something that could be rectified through a firmware upgrade - the system has the radar transmitter and receiver afterall. Think I'll leave it on my spec but it's useful to understand the system's shortcomings - just a shame that it doesn't work as it clearly should...

acideraser

Post by acideraser » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:31 pm

Damn! I got used to ACC on my CRV which also has collision mitigation system...for some reason I assumed this ACC on bmw will be similar but Simon is right. I just checked x5 Owners' manual I've downloaded from BMW USA and it says following:
Active Cruise control cannot detect stop signs, red lights or ANY OBJECTS THAT STOPPED AND BLOCKING THE ROAD. Active cruise control is NOT AND MUST NOT BE USED AS COLLISION AVOIDANCE/WARNING SYSTEM.
That's a low blow BMW, i dont know what to do now, maybe I should exclude this feature and get 4.0d engine instead....

I wonder what will happen if I set ACC at 70 mph, it slows down because of the car in front to say 45, then car in front changes lane - it starts accelerating and another car appears in front of me - will it keep accelerating or slow down?

@SimonD - thank you very much for explanation... Now I understand why there are not so many used cars with this system...

Does anyone know if BMW offers anything similar to collision avoidance/warning system, similar to what you can find in volvo and honda?
------------------------------------
2011 X5 xDrive30d SE Platinum Grey 20" 336 alloys