Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Am I Mad? 3.0d SE Road Tax

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi there all

I am looking at buying a 2007 3.0dSE E70 and was wondering how much the road tax would be on it.

I ask as I was under the impression that when BMW brought out the E70 with it's cleaner diesel engines, the tax was £245 per year.
I have used the DVLA enquiry form and it is showing the tax as being £425?

Could someone please clarify one way or the other?

Thanks
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Am I Mad? 3.0d SE Road Tax

Post by AW8 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 pm

The earliest cars had higher emissions hence the higher band applying.

Sorry but I dont have definitive build date switch or VIN range.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:40 pm

I thought the switch was early on but be careful

Not even the dealers get it right sometimes as somebody on here experienced !
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:03 pm

I think a call to the dealers first thing might well be in order.

Thank you for the replies guys
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:09 pm

My dealer at bmw got it wrong on my 2004 and quoted me the higher price. I had to point it out! Check it out thoroughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:49 am

Avtar came a cropper over this issuse when buying his first e70 about a year ago. In the end got the dealer to swap it for another model :D Hopefully he may see this post and be able to shed some light on date changes. From memory the newer ed engines came out for the 08 model i.e. August 2007 build State side so in theory registration from around end September 2007 onwards. But as we all know there will have been some prevoious engine models still around waiting for registration. C02 details are on all registration documents and you should see sight of this before taking any decision to purchase to confirm in your own mind that the vehicle has the correct CO2.

To Add: Have just checked out thsi site http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/index.asp and it quotes the change in CO2 from 1st May 2008, new figure being 214 g/km down from 231 g/km so it looks like the changes came in from 2008.5 models year. If you know the reg no. which is easy to get if looking at the BMW AUC site put it in here - http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor ... =link.next and this may make things clearer.

HTH
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:00 am

To add to this - only the SE models were affected (I think) as the SD models got the lower emissions in time.

The cut-off is 225 g/km also from memory. But the V5 will have the figure and that dictates your VED bracket.

HTHs and not too much duff info! :?
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 am

Current
Previous

Avtar

Post by Avtar » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:33 pm

I did indeed come a croper on this and it all worked out in the end. Essentially the build date of the car needs to be post September 2007 and the dealer should have that information on their system so make sure they check it. Chompers is correct it should of course be on the V5 but since cars are often in transition at the dealers this is not always avaialble, as was the case with me.
Current Drives:

Alpina D5 BiTurbo
E70 3.0sD SE (Sold)
E46 330 Convertible
Alpina B3 S BiTurbo (SOLD)

History:

E39 528 Sport, 530 Sport
E38 735 Sport
E36 318iS, 320, 325

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Sounds like a real fun exercise in chase the V5. I will endeavor to do as suggested above though. Thank you.

I did phone the dealers today, they were busy as usual. When I called back as they failed to call me, I found that between yesterdays discussions and my getting to speak to the sales team, they had sold the car in question. Not impressed. It just wasn't meant to be.

Thank you again for the advice.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Always a believer of what's in your 'kismet' will come to you buddy - that car will come back to the dealer a MILLION times!!!!

You'll find the right one, and in the mean time you're gaining knowledge to be able to do this off the bat. It's all going in your head. If the right deal turns up you'll be better placed to pounce straight away. This knowledge will be power!

Good luck and keep reading. :thumbsup:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 pm

CO2 details are held on the BMW computer system and this info should be readliy available at the push of a few buttons. It still amazes me that dealers and sales people do not bother to promptly return phones calls. Selling over the phone is an art and one I personally very much enjoyed. If they can't be bothered to return a call, then they do not deserve your business. Plenty of stock out there, so on to the next one and as Sanj rightly points out, if more info under your belt.

Good luck.
Current
Previous

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Thank you Sanj

I did think the same about that car :fuelfire: and it has given me the opportunity to test drive another one this weekend.
Is there anything in particular I should look out for? Any foibles to be aware of?

It is always best to make an informed descision :thumbsup:

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:05 pm

Our esteemed Mod (the one with the knowledge and the friendly one) AW8 has only been able to do a Buyers Guide on the E53 models. He's yet to buy an E70!

If I was buying - the SE has to have the right tax bracket of course, the right kit too (for that year), newer models have better spec, HUD, wing mirror cameras, hard drive based satnav, newer iDrive, etc. Remember that most go for the SE because it has the side runners (yet try to spec them similar to the Sport), the Sport can't have them but has the colour-coded trim. They hold a better resale value too...

Get the right colour that suits you too! Think possibly about resale - most popular models usually mean better chance of a higher resale. Again, colour and spec matter. BUT above all else it has to feel right for you.

Bonus if it is still in warranty too!

Good luck and I want one!

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:15 pm

[quote=""Chompers""] It still amazes me that dealers and sales people do not bother to promptly return phones calls. Selling over the phone is an art and one I personally very much enjoyed. If they can't be bothered to return a call, then they do not deserve your business. [/quote]

I agree Chompers, why is it so difficult for a sales person to return a call when there is the chance of a sale?

When I initially phoned on Monday it took someone 2 hours to return my call, and chasing after an hour only got me the 'they have your message sir and someone will call you back as soon as they get a a chance' reply from the recoptionist. Should have taken that as a sign.

The perfect car awaits......