Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice appreciated as I finalise spec of 40d!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
MJim

Post by MJim » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm close to taking the plunge on a 40d, following a much enjoyed test drive the other day, and would very much appreciate advice on any of the following:

1. Wheels. I'm planning on going for the 19in wheels as I'm told they're noticeably more comfortable than the 20in ones. Is this true? I'll be going for the M Sport set up.

2. Leather. I have a couple of very young boys, which would suggest going for a dark interior but personally find them a bit bleak. Will I get away with Oyster if I clean with wipes as necessary, especially as it comes with black carpets/seat backs, or will it look dreadful after a couple of years?

3. Audio. I've picked up that the standard and business speakers are both pretty poor. I can't justify the cost of the Logic 7. I know it's subjective but should i just go for the standard ones or is an upgrade advised - are they really that bad?

4. Are electronic aids like HUD and active cruise control fun toys or are they genuinely useful? Given congestion here the latter sounds great as I find I'm constantly toggling standard cruise control on and off. The HUD really appeals but do you need a break from information being thrown at you for a relaxing drive - I guess you can turn it off?!

Any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated!
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

NewX5

Re: Advice appreciated as I finalise spec of 40d!

Post by NewX5 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:32 pm

1. I am using the 19 M Sport wheels and currently really happy with them initially thought I made a mistake by not getting 20's but I am really pleased with them.

2. I have the oyster interior and 2 kids wipe clean really well no issues at all.

3. I did not look at any sounds options but certainly wished I did the standard setup is a load of rubbish, so I will be upgrading the speakers and adding an amp soon.

4. Unable to give an answer on any of these, personally I only get optional extras that will improve my driving experience.

Good Luck with your new car and dont forget to post pictures.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:52 pm

I've just taken delivery of an X6 40d and can tell you what I put on it, and what I didn't from your list.

Wheels - I changed mine to Style 214 (20") for the Summer tyres and I also have a set of Style 258 for Winter use. I'm not sure how much difference there is yet but the extra height of sidewall might make for a comfier ride.

Leather - I have the Beige Leather on mine (my wife's choice), but would rather have had a darker colour as I'm terrified of getting it dirty. That being said, I have had the leather treated by BMW which should make cleaning easier. Leather is an absolute must have on a car like these.

Audio - Professional Sound system added and it does sound much better. I could not justify the extra cost of the Individual sound system which only gives better speakers and a bigger amp.

HUD - fitted and very useful as it displays the speed and nav guidance. Add Speed limit display as it gives you details on the actual limit you are in. It's not 100% accurate, but a good 'tool' to have.
Active Cruise Control - not fitted as in my view it removes a level of driver participation. The sensor is in the front bumper and if it gets dirty (which it will) it stops working properly.
Stop & Go cruise - fitted and works well. Puts the brakes on when you need to slow down to a new speed.
Pro Sat Nav - fitted and well wooth it.
USB interface - I have ipod touch and iphone 4 so this is useful and works with other smart phones.
Media package - gave me DAB as well
TV function - expensive but I find it useful.
Sunroof - the pano roof is very nice. The X6 only has a standard sunroof.
Sun Protection Glass - keeps the back cooler. If you have the HUD then you must have the special windcreen.
Comfort Seats - very comfortable
4-zone Climate Control - very useful for kids in the back too
Auto dimming mirrors
Voice control - saves trying to find the blasted funaction you want on the iDrive!!!
Bluetooth phone prep and telematics
Dynamic package
Xenon lights - if you have the choice, add them.
Running Boards - useful for 'smalls' to get in and out
Lane Departure - not fitted - same reason as active cruise.
CD changer/DVD changer - not fitted as I have ipod etc. Can be added later if needed.
Heated steering wheel - great in this weather!!
Front seat heating - only bothered with the front as rarely carry in the back.
Sunblinds in rear doors - good for kids again.

I've got other toys too but I don't know what options the X5 has.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MJim

Post by MJim » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Many thanks for your comments - really appreciated!

Think I'll be going for the 223M wheels which look very tasteful. I think the 20 in wheels look better, but I'm prepared to compromise!

Good to hear that the Oyster is doable with kids and lots of wipes. I'll def look into treatments for the leather - do you think it helps? What wood did you go for? I'm drawn to the walnut - really like its character - but see that bamboo is very popular.

A real shocker that the standard hifi is rubbish - I'd have expected the standard set up to at least be acceptable. Thanks for the advice on the pro audio. Cost of this baby is getting higher and higher. Oh well!

I am drawn to the active cruise control. I take the point on driver involvement but slowing down and speeding up in motorway congestion is the sort of 'involvement' I'd be more than happy to delegate. Your point raised on susceptability to dirt is a good one and something I'll check out. Anyone out there have this option and have any real world experience?

Think I'll be going for most of the options you went for X5Sport, minus the telly and 4 zone cc, but plus the reversing camera with top view. For tight manouevring standard sensors kick in too early from experience and should help protect against kerbing those wheels!

flyfs6

Post by flyfs6 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Hello and Welcome along. IMO the X5 is one of the best SUV's around and you won't be disappointed. My friend acquired a RR Sport 2010 3.0TDV6 facelift when they first released, and we swapped cars, there were some things I liked about the Range Rover Sport over its pre face lift version, but at the end we both (& his SWMBO) preferred the X5!

The ride on original 19" wheels is certainly much better compared to the 20" set up. That said even though with the 20" wheels my car rides much smoother than my friends E90 330d which is on 18" run flats, I would recommend the 19" because they're more comfortable, rugged, kind of give that 4x4 look and there is much more choice when it comes to replacement tyres.

Oyster leather looks great, and its going to be harder wearing than the Beige nappa in my car, I have lived with Oyster leather in an E93 and its definitely easier to look after.

For most people the standard stereo is sufficient, however if you feel you want to upgrade but don't want to go for the top end audio and as this is a new order I would recommend the business stereo which offers a marked improvement over standard.

Active Cruise Control, its a great option to have but you need to be doing a fair amount of cruising to justify this, I tried this on a loan X5. I'm sure the BMW system is better, but double check if you want it because the one in our Range Rover is an odd one, if the car in front brakes hard, the car just disengages cruise and prompts you to react at the last minute. Its really scary when it does depending on how many car lengths you've set the system to leave! Otherwise I wouldn't worry about the sensor getting dirty, I'm sure they've factored for that and that your car will be cleaned at reasonable intervals.

I would rather pick HUD over ACC, unlike the M car (M5, M6) version the information shown is basic as in no graphs and rev counter etc, but its a useful feature and I miss it whenever I'm driving anything that's not equipped with one. For not needing to look down at the speedo all the time is a big plus and it brings that 'upmarket car' feel with it, I just couldn't live without it.

Remote tailgate hasn't been mentioned, I really recommend this too as its very convenient despite not being to close it from inside the car unless you use the key (hope that makes sense), but whoever is accessing the boot can shut it at the press of a button on their end.

I would leave out the 4 zone climate (my car has this and its the least used option) but would get sun protection glass as its looks good, keeps the cabin cooler when sunny and provides privacy. Also have adaptive lights and high beam assist - not necessary, but xenons are recommended. Perhaps 7 seats too if you think you are likely to be shuffling kids around, and apparently this option helps with reseale, and so do the 20" bigger wheels.

So the spec I would suggest would be something like:

xdrive40d M Sport
Oyster leather (no cost)
Media pack (nav etc)
USB armrest connection 6FL (must for ipod connectivity)
Xenons
Sun protection/Privacy glass
High gloss black trim (no cost)
Remote boot
Business speaker upgrade
Luggage compartment net (to separate the cabin from the boot space with seats up and this is very expensive to retrofit)
Heated front seats
Lumbar support
Electric folding mirrors

I can't think of anything other options to add as must haves.

petert

Post by petert » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 pm

Ive got a 35d. My 2p worth would be:
Standard stereo is OK but sound is a very subjective issue. Advise you listen to the real difference at a cooperative dealer.
I have beige leather but no small kids - still looks excellent after 10 months.
19 inch wheels look ok to me and ride well, but again looks are very subjective - most on the forum seem to like 20s.
Ca't help on HUD or ACC. Remote boot is nice but not a deal breaker for me. Heater seats all round and heated steering wheel are highly valued by us.
Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.

bayrak

Post by bayrak » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:17 am

Hi, Like most here, I recommend upgrade of the sound system, I went for logic as I had it in my last BM it's worth the cost. I like as many options as possible so tick the boxes then go through the list removing what you can, not easy.
Someone mentioned the 4 zone air-con, I went for this one and will see how much it's used over the winter months (I have a feeling it will be used a bit)
Good luck and enjoy the fun when it arrives.

Merry Christmas

MJim

Post by MJim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:32 pm

All very useful feedback - thanks guys - much appreciated!

Lots of different views being expressed on the audio - which makes sense as we all have such different priorities. On another post the view was expressed as to how poor the business system was but this was following on from having had an exceptional high end system previously. The only fool proof way on that one is to try and demo a couple of sytems if possible as suggested.

I've picked up in a number of reviews as to how fabulous the comfort seats are, so that's definately on the list. I'm going to have very high expectations now!

4 zone is out of the question for me as my (pre school) boys are very young and very active so I'd be worried about it getting climbed over and broken.

Great to hear the voice recognition works well - so that's on too, as are 7 seats and panoramic.

I'm still thinking Active cruise as it has had some very positive reviews on other models, and I'm also drawn to the 'cleverness' of the system. Would also make it a whole lot less of a pain in the backside as you consortina back and to down the motorway. Don't like the sound of no braking and just a warning noise in a heavy braking scenario - I would hope
it would at least get started on the braking before you take over - I'll look into it.

Does anyone have walnut with the Oyster? The bamboo seems very popular, but I find walnut has a great quality feel to it.

Once again, thanks so much for your input. It's great to discuss these things and I find it incredibly helpful in firming up thoughts.

bayrak

Post by bayrak » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:55 pm

I have the amarone walnut (looks more red in pics than real life) & love it, but my interior is (ZBCM) Champagne Merino Full leather - BMW Individual.
Go with the active cruse control I found it a bit strange at first but now, would have it in future cars for sure. I have noticed it commences breaking sooner than I would but that may be a sign of slower reactions on my part (ha ha) & the distance is adjustable.
On the 4 zone, I'm sure the rear controls are there in the standard set up but not individual (left/right) so the boys may still cause you a bit of bother when climbing.

Tick the boxes, spend the money & enjoy.

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:07 pm

Just a quick suggestion, have you looked at the oyster with silver? I have seen it and I think it looks really modern. Pan roof definately, folding mirrors and so on.
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

MJim

Post by MJim » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:33 pm

Bayrak, many thanks for your response. I took a look at your car and laughed! You really did find it hard figuring what not to have didn't you! Anything?!! The spec looks awesome and the car stunning. The full leather interior really takes it up a level.
I'm glad you find the active cc useful. My understanding is that it an emergency scenario it will apply firm braking but leave it to the driver to stamp on them? Maybe then I can argue to myself there's a safety benefit when truth be told I'm drawn to it as a brilliant gadget. In terms of the radar sensor, is it that small hole in the bumper to the left of the number plate?
I'll be going for standard Oyster leather, partly for durability but also to keep the cost down a little. I plan on going for the dark walnut which I think would go best, although have thought of bamboo as well. Thanks for your suggestion rusty nail, but personally I really like wood and find metal trim a little clinical. I agree it looks slick though.

bayrak

Post by bayrak » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:49 am

I laugh as well, everytime I get in it. Can't help ticking those boxes when building a car. Might be an X3 next, if the wife is a good girl....

Love it!

MJim

Post by MJim » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:02 am

I must admit, I thought about waiting for the new x3 35i. Sensible fuel consumption and 0-60 in five and a half seconds! BMW say there are no plans to release it here but I'm sure they will. However, I figured the extra space of the X5 would be useful and didn't want to wait any more. Is my understanding of the active cruise control correct?

Enjoy enjoy enjoy!

bayrak

Post by bayrak » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:17 am

Brilliant gadget....Yes
Safety benefit....Yes
Radar sensor in the bumper....No I don't think it is, in the photo the small "hole" is where a blank fits I'm sure in photo of the rear the blank is also missing. I think during transport/delivery to dealer they remove them.
Go for the ACC you'll only be sorry later.

Minda

Post by Minda » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:24 am

Hi jim in regard to your above questions,

1. Wheels i would say try a drive in both if that is possible (the other question i asked my self was that i would never be happy with 19's so would need to change at a later date, will you be happy with the 19's?)

2. I went with the black but thats just a personal preference.

3. I went for the individual audio and think its great, i do love my ice and could of installed or upgraded it later myself but couldn't justify pulling apart a new 60k+ car on day one.

4. As for HUD i went for it on recommendation from a friend, and what he said to me is that its great if you have never had it you wont know what your missing, but once you do get it i think its one box that will always be ticked, you can turn it off, but i never have.

Heres a list of options i got, and dont regret any as of yet

X5 xDrive40d M Sport

Black Nevada leather LUSW
Black Sapphire (Part of M Sport Package) 475
M Double-Spoke Style 333M 10/11Jx20 (Part of M Sport Package) 2NY
M Sport Package 337
Media package ZXB
Self-Levelling Rear Axle 220
Sport suspension (Part of M Sport Package) 226
Alarm system (Thatcham 1) 302
Model designation deletion 320
Comfort Access 322
Reversing Assist camera with Top View 3AH
Roof rails, High-gloss Shadowline (Part of M Sport Package) 3MC
Floor mats, velour 423
First Aid Kit & Triangle 428
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming 430
Rear-view mirror, auto dimming 431
Smokers package 441
Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory 459
Sport seats, front (Part of M Sport Package) 481
Lumbar support, driver and front pass. 488
Seat heating, front 494
Seat heating, rear 496
Brushed Aluminium Trim (Part of M Sport Package) 4AD
Air conditioning, automatic with four-zone control 4NB
Third-row seating 4UB
Headlight wash 502
Park Distance Control, front and rear (Part of M Sport Package) 508
Rain sensor with auto. headlight activation 521
Xenon headlights 522
Cruise control with brake function 544
Extended Interior Light Package 563
Passenger airbag deactivation, front 5DA
Navigation-system Professional (Part of Media package) 609
Head-up Display 610
BMW Assist (Part of Media package) 612
BMW Assist online portal (Part of Media package) 616
Bluetooth phone prep + telematics (Part of Media package) 633
DAB digital radio (Part of Media package) 654
CD changer preparation 694
USB interface (Part of Media package) 6FL
M Steering Wheel (Part of M Sport Package) 710
BMW Individual audio system 752
Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline (Part of M Sport Package) 760
Sun protection glass 761
Headlining, Anthracite (Part of M Sport Package) 775
M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling (Part of M Sport Package) 7M5

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11&start=165 to see some pics
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB