Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight washers missing

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
Bungie

Post by Bungie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:23 pm

There both gone :( popped the daughter back home outside her house and drove straight back only to find that when i get out the car i have two bloody great holes in the bumper.

Confused, livid and miffed.

So i done a search for Bmw X6 headlight washers missing and low and behold information all over the place especially BMW about headlight washers popping off in freezing conditions.

I have just e/mailed Bmw where i purchased it from so awaiting reply after the holiday period.

:cry: Ben

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight washers missing

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:28 pm

Jeez, we're not having good day's are we! :cry: :cry:

How on earth does something that obvious fail to get tested for? A lot of the markets where these cars are sold are a LOT colder than the UK. What's the answer - more screenwash in the mix, apart that is from a proper fixing system from BMW?

I think I'll go add a stronger mix into mine.....I really don't want any more 'surprises'!

Rick
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi

Same happened to my friends M5. You will find loads on the Internet about. Last I read they were replacing with no quibble as it's a design fault. They paid up for hers with a little persuasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Oh and just in case you lot have smutty thoughts it was not the kind of persuasion you lot were thinking about!

MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

Bungie

Post by Bungie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks, I don't like posting links but interesting read. My boxing gloves will be on and it's there Screenwash ;)

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtop ... 4&t=115608

Happy crimble all

Ben

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:12 pm

BMW cars and washer jets :headbang: FFS went out tonight with th OH and kids for Christmas carols, haven't used the 5er for a week. Put the rear wash wipe on to clear the screen and no water then the whole screen has a water fall on it!!! looks like the pipe has blown of the jet and the fluid is leaking down the screen. Sure its an easy fix but still a pain. As for you e70/71 boys and girls, I feel for you. This has been going on for ages, from time to time you see cars advertised on the AUC with missing washer jet covers!!! good luck to those people with missing covers getting them replaced and to BMW if you are watching, get your act together :thumbsdown:
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:36 pm

I know when I was looking for an E70, there were loads on forecourts with them missing, great job BMW!

Hope you get them replaced asap
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

Bungie

Post by Bungie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:24 am

Jeepers weepers, can't believe how widespread this is.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtop ... 4&t=101510

Power of the Internet :)

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:21 am

haa only the other day my sister was telling me someone had stolen their headlight washer jets on their e90 320 coupe! it did actually cross my mind these could have frozen and popped off. Stealers want £19 each i think for each cover and £60 each yes £60!!!! to have them resprayed to colour of car!!! are there any ways of bmw recognising this as a another mess up on their behalf???

Last edited by BL02WAS on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:55 pm

Hmmmm! Duly noted and screen wash strength changed from -12C to -23C capable. However I don't remember seeing any warnings in the handbook about making sure the screenwash strength is changed for seasonal issues with actual hardware failure. I guess we just aren't used to these extreme temps, and unless you change the mix strength and also make sure its right through all the pipes you may still get caught out. I think I've got 50:50 mix of BMW Screenwash to filtered water now.
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shab

Post by shab » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:59 am

Hi everyone,

My 1st post on this site is unfortunately also a whinge about the dreaded headlight washers. My X5 E70 lost one of these yesterday as I was driving back to London from Manchester, it was around -3 on the way back and my washer jets were frozen.

When they finally got working, around -1 I actually saw something fly off the front of the car and by the time I had stopped at the next services, the driver side cover (and probably the actual jet assembly) had departed!

Car is out of warranty at 3 1/2 years old. I am really loathe to fork out 150 quid plus to get the dealers to repair this but may have no option as there appears to be washer fluid leaking into the driver side footwell too!

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi Shab

You have to push for it to be paid by stealer but if you're prepared to dig your heals in you should get there eventually. You say E70. Did you get the car from a dealership? If you did you need to push on the goodwill angle :-)

MODS

Bungie

Post by Bungie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:26 pm

I will be on the phone to the local dealer Wednesday morning and let you know how i get on after work.
After they give me the Blurb about screenwash etc and,,,,,,, they say they cannot repair under warranty :poke: i will most likely say, Ok, I will return the vehicle To the BMW main dealer's i purchased it from 3 weeks ago in the snow with there screenwash and under the 30 day warranty period i will have my money back.

shab

Post by shab » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 am

Hi,

Yes, I did get the vehicle from a main dealer and will try the goodwill angle, but in all honesty, regardless of outcome, I think I'm going to disable the headlight washer jets in the future (presumably a fuse somewhere).

I don't particularly like them as they spray screen wash all over my shiny polished bonnet...and there is absolutely no guarantee they won't ping off again every time the temp drops below zero....great advert for BMW's :thumbsdown:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:41 am

I've had washer systems fitted to a number of vehicles I've owned over the years and I can't say any of them have been properly effective, be they wiper based (which dont follow the glass properly and get nicked) or jet based using high pressure driven spinners or straight 'high' pressure nozzles. It seems to me they just add more water to the windscreen washer output, increase the profits of the fluid manufacturers and mess up our shiny cars..... :?