Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X6 tailpipes - change to 50i type from round type.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X6 tailpipes - change to 50i type from round type.

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:44 pm

[quote=""Jalf""]I remember someone getting a 40d was told by BMW that it has a different fitting on its tail pipes so the BMW ones won't fit, I think they need to be moddified to get them on so its not a out of the box and on soloution.[/quote]

Looks like a dead end at present. The retofit kit is available for the petrol models and diesel versions up to and including the 35d, but as yet, no kit for the 40d even though the plastic trims to refit the bumper holes if you have these tips are available!? Go figure. Perhaps it's 'to follow', along with iphone4 cradles :x
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:02 pm

There is a kit for the 40d. I've just done mine and it looks mint. RealOEM kit has been modified by BMW and now dispenses with middle joints and adds welded mounting points. My bodyshop guy tells me it was a piece of P to fit. Just power off the old pipe and the new one slides over and clamps in place. The cutting of existing moulding for the new blanks was the most time consuming but still easy enough.
Pics of this plus BMW Performance rear spoiler/window slats & kidneys with CF mirrors, Hamann pedal kit and mudflaps: http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/snipez999/

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Which mouldings are you referring to? The ones in the rear bumper where the tips protrude? I thought they just unclipped and replacements were fitted with the right hole in them? Have you got the part numbrs for the kit, just so I can wave them under the Parts guy's nose. My Dealer has a BMW Body shop on site which is handy. :)

I feel an attack of modding fever coming on :D

There's a few I want to do - including the rear spoiler. Not sure about the slats yet.
Last edited by X5Sport on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:42 pm

I too thought they unclipped but they don't you basically cut a lip on the old ones and the new ones are stuck over it. Better to do it that way as getting the cutout the same size both sides of the car without the replacement mouldings would be a right pain. If you are a member of BMWLand (hint hint) you can get a good discount from the BMW dealer on there - Cotswold BMW - 01432 375563 and ask for Rich . The price for tips and mouldings from them was a good 20% cheaper than my supplying dealer's own quote. If you have the gear (A good jack, Dremel multi and an angle grinder) then it would not be a testing thing to fit yourself. Patience with the cutout is all, but you just sketch round the new moulding and cut along the line so it's a no-brainer really! Dealer quoted 149 quid (1 hour's labour) to fit so depends how flush you feel I guess ;-)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:12 pm

.............and which pipes did you use? Part numbers? My local dealer maintains not possible. Parts say not possible!! But you've done it.

Need shots of the underneath of the car so that the cut n fit is visible. Why they don't offer these as standard on the 40d I don't get!! Especially when you can do it on all the others!!

Then a 'How to' can be put together........... :poke:

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:53 pm

I believe the kit has only very recently been updated to fit the 40d. It *could* be made to fit before anyway, but needed some welding which dealers would want to avoid doing (or are not capable of doing in house anyway).
Doh, why don't I just go and look at the boxes for part numbers..........................scuttle, scuttle........................
OK so neither the 11 nor 6 digit part codes on the box is actually coming up as anything on Realoem. This could be your dealer's dilemma.
11 digit: 18302185389
6 digit: 032204
That's just the exhaust tips as I binned the box for the trims sorry.
Best to call Rich at Cotswold.