Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

which black sapphire variation is my x6?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
Harvey Munt

which black sapphire variation is my x6?

Post by Harvey Munt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi everybody,  :)  I just had a little paint work done on my new car (59 plate x6) and its totaly the wrong shade of black. Its 475 code but does anyone know which variation it is likely to be as at the moment the new paint looks very purple in direct sun light and a lttle to metalic in the shade. The paint system they are using has 4 variations. A base, a blue, a red and a light version. They used the base first time round. Thanks for any knoledge you might share with me.
Last edited by Harvey Munt on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: which black sapphire variation is my x6?

Post by X5Sport » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:06 pm

A BMW Dealer will be able to look your car up via its VIN and that will give them the exact recipe used.  If it's wrong then they've mixed it incorrectly.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Harvey Munt

Post by Harvey Munt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanks for that X5Sport . I will call them tomorrow and ask them if they can get the info.

sunnydude959

Post by sunnydude959 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:20 am

I didn't know that there were variations within a paint colour code?! I thought "Black Sapphire" meant "Black Sapphire" regardless if the car was made in 1995 or 2015.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Just like cooking, every time a new batch is mixed there will be tiny variations in colour so you need to know the exact batch code.  Your dealer will be able to tell you as I don't know where it is recorded on the actual car.

A body shop should then be able to mix correctly and allow for age etc to get a near match.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.