Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ESD (Electrostatic Discharge)

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
sunnydude959

ESD (Electrostatic Discharge)

Post by sunnydude959 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:29 am

Hi guys.

I was reading something on the internet about ESD (electrostatic discharge) and that we should protect ourselves against it when working on computers, or indeed any computer-like electronic device (e.g. I assume this to be equally valid to automotive lighting clusters). Furthermore, I did once read on a forum somewhere that someone fried their interior roof lighting cluster because of ESD and that they had to buy a new unit from BMW.

I therefore wondered, whats the best way of protecting ourselves against ESD when e.g. upgrading our angel eyes, changing indicator bulbs, etc.?? There are lots of guides on how to use e.g. wristbands with crocodile clips when working on computers, but almost no information at all that relate to safely working on cars.

Sunny

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ESD (Electrostatic Discharge)

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Use the same precautions as you would when working with a PC.  There should not be a real issue as long as you stay 'bonded' with the car.  Most things you do on a car carry little if any risk of ESD being a concern.

A wristband is fine but NOT if you are going anywhere near a HID and its associated ballast unless you are 100% certain it is off.  The HID starting voltages carry the risk of killing you if mishandled.

The key is to make sure that both you and the vehicle are at the same 'potential' so and static charges you build up are evenly discharged into the car and you are both at the same potential.  You can do that by regularly touching an earth point in the car, or a bolt/screw that goes into metal.  You can end up with a higher ESD risk when working on the front of the E70/71, and possibly the F15/16 due to the wings being made from plastic.

Avoid wearing Nylon as this is good at generating static charges.

If you can, disconnect the car battery too - simply to stop any high voltage circuit going live by accident.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sunnydude959

Re: ESD (Electrostatic Discharge)

Post by sunnydude959 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks Richard  :) - Theres a large unpainted metal region under the bonnet, so I kept touching that now and then.