Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electronics error - audio side - cleared after 'sleep'.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Electronics error - audio side - cleared after 'sleep'.

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 17, 2015 6:28 pm

First time I've ever had an electronics issue on the X, but still caused some worries when it happened!

For some unknown reason part of the CIC (iDrive) failed to boot up correctly resulting in loss of ALL audio functions (Radio/CD/Sat Nav voice/Voice command/parking sensors/warning bongs/Phone audio etc.

The only indication on the dash was a warning in the iDrive screen that just said 'Warning - No tones possible' which was about as informative and useful as the "take 2 aspirin and call me in a week statement"!!

All the relevant symbology was affected too with no Audio On/Off, Bluetooth or USB capability.

No idea what the issue was actually caused by, but switching off, locking up and letting the car have a snooze for an hour sorted it.  It seems the same issues that plagued the E53 still seem to exist in the later cars too.

If it happens to you too, then don't panic, switch it all off, lock and leave the car for an hour and then see what it's like.  If it hadn't worked then I would have disconnected the battery as the next trick.  After that it would be back to BMW under the extended warranty.
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun May 17, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Mpower

Re: Electronics error - audio side - cleared after 'sleep'.

Post by Mpower » Sun May 17, 2015 6:45 pm

Glad it sorted itself out!