Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear seat head restraints - cars built after Feb 2011 or with 5 seats.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rear seat head restraints - cars built after Feb 2011 or with 5 seats.

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:37 pm

Have any of the members on here with the original version of the E71 built after Feb 2011 with either 4 or 5 seater versions got adjustable head restraints in the rear?

Our little man has got to the next stage car seat but all those we have looked at which have the proper backrest (rather than just using a booster cushion) cannot be used because the rear head restraint is fixed in position and isn't removable.

I think when this model was designed there was no need to use anything other than a booster cushion with youngsters (to be banned from Dec 2016 under EU regs for new seats sold for for kids under 150cm though parents can go on using existing cushions if they have them).  These new rules require different seats with proper backs and therein lies the issue I have.

If the later build cars have adjustable/removable rear head restraints then I may change the car backrest, or little man will have to go in the front only.

For those with E71s who aren't yet aware of the problem, you need to look at it carefully as the only option we have is an inadequate booster, or to put him in the front where we don't have ISOFIX so he isn't as protected!

For now the X6 will use his existing seat (which he will soon be too big for) and the Skoda will have the latest seat.

Very silly design by BMW!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Rear seat head restraints - cars built after Feb 2011 or with 5 seats.

Post by graemeX5 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:52 am

Hi

Ive had a look at the real oem and if as I think your head rests are the square flat ones see link below it looks like you can remove them by taking out the clip number 3.

It may not look pretty but it may resolve the prob, I would ask to spec to a tech at BMW to check but if they can remove it for the time being it could solve the prob as you only need one remove for the car seat.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=52_3659

Hth
Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

sid10

Post by sid10 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:12 pm

I am sure they just pull out !

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:23 pm

On mine they are completely integral to the seat and the leather seat cover includes the head restraint itself so it isn't a separate item and cannot be removed.  I think this was the change made in early 2011 when the 5-seater became available.  Prior to this the cars were 4-seat only with fixed, integral restraints.

After discussions, BMWs own Type II/III seat doesn't seem to fit either, they only offer a booster cushion for this car - which I don't consider remotely safe enough for a three year old no matter what the (current) EU rules permit as the seatbelt is across his neck.

Front mounting it will have to be as the price of a new seat back is ridiculous!
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.