Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X6 Purchase

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
kena

X6 Purchase

Post by kena » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi Everyone.
I was a member on here for a few years on the E53 X5 forum. Have been away for a few years with a C63 AMG mercedes. Have just got rid of the mercedes and thinking of purchasing a 62 plate X6 30d with 57k miles. Had one viewing and looks a decent motor. Thinking of having another with a test drive.

is there anything I should be looking for, are there any inherent problems I should know about ( like the gearboxes on the E53 etc, cost me £3500 to have that one repaired and £1000 to have the air suspension repaired ).
What things do I need to look for if I go for a second viewing.
Is it easy to fit blue tooth or impossible.
My E53 had all the toys ( 4.8is petrol version )
Sure I will have plenty more questions but will also do a lot of reading on here.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

regards....

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X6 Purchase

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Very few issues with gearboxes, unlike the E53!  8-speed seems pretty good so far.  X6 also has a very clever rear axle that provides torque distribution side to side.

Some problems now appearing with fron diffs which might be down to bad tyre choice or wide tread variance front/rear so well worth checking how the car drives on full lock.  Any jerkiness and there may be a problem.

Adding options needs licence keys as well as hardware, but can be got around.

Make sure all the software updates/recalls have been done.  A check with a Dealer by giving them the last 7 of the VIN should find those out.

I've had my 40d since new (6 years) and so far it's fine at 33k miles.  The propshaft was replaced under recall, but I think yours is outside the 'problem build period' so no need to worry.

Like all DPF equipped cars it is very important that if the car is doing frequent short journeys then it needs to do a longer run @40mph for at least 20mins after warming up on a regular basis.  New DPF units are very expensive.  Checking the 'ash level' is key.  Needs something like the Carly App and adapter, or a Dealer checkup.

Check the handbrake actuator sounds OK.  A few gave been reported on here and it's a replace part only at around £600++
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

x6edge

Post by x6edge » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:34 pm

I've a 11 plate 3.0d X6 with 44,000 mls and other than the previous described vibration at full lock at low speed (front Diff) so far no problems.

kena

Post by kena » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Had another look today and a test drive. Apart from a wobble on the steering, which i put down to either wheel balance or brakes, everything seems ok. No judder on slow tight circles. All tyres are in good condition.
Ticks all the boxes. It does have bluetooth and USB.
Dealer states he will sort the wobble out so now to make a decision.
yes or no.

kena

Post by kena » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:17 am

Deposit paid this morning, pick it up middle next week.

Colin

Post by Colin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Congratulations on your purchase , look forward to some pics , oh and welcome back ..
05 , 30d Le Mans Blue Sport

Beefcake-2001

Post by Beefcake-2001 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:48 pm

enjoy, Great cars the X6

kena

Post by kena » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Had the car almost 2 weeks now and loving it. I have one question for now and it may sound really stupid/daft but there is no spare wheel. Does the X6 not have a spare due to run flat tyres being fitted.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Cost option from the Dealer.  BMW stopped supplying spares a while back, same with my current Škoda even though it doesn't have runflats.  Tube of sealant is the default.  Cheaper to provide and weighs less therefore lower emissions!

You get a nice bit of carpet under the X6 boot floor though  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kena

Post by kena » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:15 pm

Oh well off to Halfords for some sealant as there aint none of that neither. Off up to the scottish highlands next week and don't like being without some form of back up.