Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just bought a 2013 X6 40d - changed from RR Sport

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
soupdragon

Just bought a 2013 X6 40d - changed from RR Sport

Post by soupdragon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:10 pm

I bit the bullet, pulled the trigger or whatever you call it just last week, and got a 3 year old X6 40d.

I've got to say, while I just joined today, I've enjoyed reading nearly every thread in the x6 section prior to joining and it seems like a nice forum  ;)

I particularly enjoyed the thread when IceQueen got her X6 and the testosterone was flying about quite a bit - I'm sure she enjoyed it just as much as some of you did  :)

(How was it for you, dear  ;)  )

That thread gave me quite a few chuckles!

I'll figure out how to get some pics up but its a space grey, 20 inch sliver Y spokes with running boards and sunroof (plus loads of other cool goodies like the heated seats/steering wheel/upgraded speakers and what not)

All in with options, about £58k worth. Not something I could ever contemplate spending I must say, but at 3 years old it seemed a very good buy, now that the new model is out. I may be in the minority, but I prefer the look of this, rather than the newer version. (although the interior on the new X6 is a nice step up in quality, very smart)

This will replace the family car, the range rover sport and sit along side my other recent purchase, the daily grinder which is the 4x4 Passat Alltrack DSG 190 BHP (lovely motor I must say)

The floaty cruise of the RRS will be missed yes, but there is so much to like about the X6 the RRS will be a distant memory very soon. The sheer urge of the X6 engine and willingness to defy physics on bends is pretty exceptional engineering from BMW - I am very impressed.

I live in NI and its very hard to find used X6's as they are just so rare. I'll maybe see one on the motorway once every 6/9 months so not very many about. Thats part of the attraction to be fair - people like to look at your car as they don't see too many about - I've caught lots of people checking it out already  8)

The car is basically 3 years old last month but we were concerned about the highish mileage - 57k. When we went for our test drive, the missus stated that she was very concerned about the miles so he said he would throw in an extra years BMW AUC warranty as part of the deal. We walked away to have a think.

I was virtually about to book a flight to London to go to big motoring world to pick up one of their X6's which were same price but lower mileage (and even a bit younger too but not well specced) but I decided to give the dealer an offer.

He was looking £28k but I emailed him a screenshot of what I could get in GB for the same money, or less money for same miles. I offered him £26k and said I was flying to London if he couldn't move on price.

He called me back and said £26.5k was bottom price. I came back to say yes, providing I still had the 2 year warranty. He said no - that was only free at £28k lol.

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing we agreed on an extra £300 for 2 year warranty and 2 years servicing along with £1.5k off the list price. Deal was done and I was very happy.  I could have got something with 20k miles or even less for the same money, but it would have been a lesser options and non-BMW approved. In the end, I was happy to give up some mileage but gain the 2 year warranty and loads of kit. Things like top view camera will make the car a bit better to use day to day, especially for the missus driving it.

So thats my 1st post and my little story. I'll get some pics up in due course but glad to join the xdrivers.co.uk club and I'll be back to check out how things are going for all the other members throughout my ownership  8)

1st thing on my agenda is to get the yellow halo lights changed - can't believe a top of the range BMW from late 2013 has yellow lights. What's all that about! :))

soupdragon

Re: Just bought a 2013 X6 40d - changed from RR Sport

Post by soupdragon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:25 pm

Pics

No daylight pics yet..

soupdragon

Post by soupdragon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:26 pm

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi

Congrats on the new car and it sounds like you got a good deal on it and van over here ther are loads of them about.

It will be a change to your old RRS but one you should enjoy as they do handle better.

There's lots of help advice and chat on here and X5Sport who is a great help to all and also has an X6.

I as going to ask for pics but you just posted them

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Waka

Post by Waka » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:10 am

That looks great, thanks for sharing.

FWIW I think you dodged a bullet by not going to BM world if the comments on Pistonheads are to be believed!
Last edited by Waka on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curr. - Silverstone II F85
Prev. - E70 4.0D M Sport
E53 3.0D Sport Facelift - Estoril Blue

Colin

Post by Colin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:31 am

Hello and Welcome to XDrivers , thats a lovely X6  good spec as well  thats maybe my next change or a fresh X5 , but i cant change my 2005 X5 as its faultless even with 130000k on it , good luck with yours anyway  and ill keep an eye out for you on the motorway , was up through westlink an hour ago heading south for the M12 ... Colin ..
05 , 30d Le Mans Blue Sport

Imy

Post by Imy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:16 pm

You definitely dodged a bullet avoiding big motoring world. Google them.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:01 pm

Hello and :hi: from me and my 'Man Pink' 40d too  :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

soupdragon

Post by soupdragon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:19 pm

[quote="Colin"]
Hello and Welcome to XDrivers , thats a lovely X6  good spec as well  thats maybe my next change or a fresh X5 , but i cant change my 2005 X5 as its faultless even with 130000k on it , good luck with yours anyway  and ill keep an eye out for you on the motorway , was up through westlink an hour ago heading south for the M12 ... Colin ..
[/quote]
Just missed you, was on Boucher Road Belfast and I'm usually up and down there twice a week. Saying that, West link was busy Northbound today so I came home (Antrim) over the mountain instead... A good chance to test it out on the steep ascent and the fast flowing bends on the descent :)

Fabulous car and just urges you to push it more. I keep well within its limits as I'm still getting used to it - the car gives me more handling and pace than I'll ever need to ask from it so that's a good thing. The RRS would understeer quite a bit, even with only moderate driving so the X6 characteristics are a welcome change :)

soupdragon

Post by soupdragon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Yes, huge bullet dodged guys. I read some info on them today, what crooks!

I can't believe I got BMW to virtually price match them now I think about it. My X6 from BMW country garage got new discs and pads all around in the days before I got it. It went in for its pre sale check up on the Friday and it was the following Wed before it was ready for collection. All serviced, mint condition, close to new tyres, 2 year warranty and 2 year servicing to go with it.

I dread to think of the condition of the cars presented by big motoring world, and the potential follow up issues I may have run into. Makes my AUC purchase seem like a bargain in comparison!

soupdragon

Post by soupdragon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:41 pm

Daylight pic so you can see the colour better. I do like grey as you can see, my Alltrack is also grey :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:26 pm

As an aside, how good is the economy on your AllTrack?  I have the same engine and running gear on my Mk3 Škoda Superb L&K 4x4 DSG 190?  It's got the EU6 tune (Ad Blue required) and only gives 43mpg.  Typical figures for all owners and well below (-35%) the stated performance.

Colin

Post by Colin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:31 pm

looks even better in daylight 
05 , 30d Le Mans Blue Sport

soupdragon

Post by soupdragon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:06 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
As an aside, how good is the economy on your AllTrack?  I have the same engine and running gear on my Mk3 Škoda Superb L&K 4x4 DSG 190?  It's got the EU6 tune (Ad Blue required) and only gives 43mpg.  Typical figures for all owners and well below (-35%) the stated performance.
[/quote]

Yes, mine is ad blue as well. I'm only getting high 30's mpg on mine. I've got it permanently in sport mode though. I like the dsg but in normal mode, the revs sit very low and when you need to accelerate quickly, I find I'm 2 gears out which means the dsg needs more time to select the gear. Add in the turbo lag and it can be frustrating to drive.

Sport mode solves all that though, but at the expense of mpg lol :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:37 pm

Seems to be a common issue then, and I use my paddle shifters far more often than I feel I should need to for the same reason, the blasted DSG is constantly in the wrong gear unless in Sport!  The ZF box on the X6 is a dream in comparison  :)