Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Phone cradle

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
baner16

Phone cradle

Post by baner16 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi all

does anybody know
if i leave an iPhone in the snap in cradle under the armrest does it continuously keep charging or does it power off eventually
when i turn off car it is still powered up
just worrying in case it becomes a power drain
i wanted to just leave it in place and not keep taking it out

many thanks Carl
E71 30d

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Phone cradle

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:01 pm

I know mine stayed powered for at least the time the car was 'awake'.  Leaving Lithium type battery powered equipment on charge is not recommended.  My E53 had an issue with the built in car phone that kept the car awake sometimes and killed the battery after a few days.  Dealer did some coding that forced it to switch off after 15 mins.

If you get a Lithium type phone battery problem you are very likely to have a fire and that could be disastrous.  Lithium batteries also need special powder fire extinguishers to deal with them - which having just done a safety course on said devices I have just learned all about.
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

x6edge

Post by x6edge » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:30 am

I leave my iphone 4 'plugged in' all the time and it seems to be ok. I believe that it only charges when the igntion is on

baner16

Post by baner16 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks for the replies

quick update
i have checked it out this morning and it seems that the cradle stays powered up after i lock the car but i think it powers off once the car goes to sleep after 12-15 mins
i left center console open and after 20 mins i unlocked car and the phone lit up as if it had just been plugged in

Carl
E71 30d