Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

All season tyres for the x6, or best summer for off road?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
Gib6933

All season tyres for the x6, or best summer for off road?

Post by Gib6933 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:39 am

Hi all I'm a newbie but I have had my x6 for over a year now.

I'm have trouble finding tyres for the x6 that are all season? I have the 19" wheels with 255 on the front and 285 on the rear.

I suppose I'm quite unusual in that I actually use the x6 off road. But a couple of time a month it has to drag its fat ass over a muddy field sometimes towing a couple of tonnes of hay/car/horse.

I will upload some photos in a bit.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: All season tyres for the x6, or best summer for off road?

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Hello and :hi:

I use Bridgestone Dueller in the Summer and Pirelli Scorpion in the winter.

You are strongly advised to only use tyres marked with an '*' on the sidewall.  These cars are not good off road in the muddier conditions, and use of other non'*' marked tyres runs an increased risk of shattering either a differential or transfer box.  Both are expensive repairs!  This is much more important on staggered wheel set-ups such as you have.

Use of the more 'agricultural' tread patterns will break the transmission.  You need to monitor the tread depth variations front to rear, and if possible change all the tyres as a set.  Wide tread depth variance is also implicated in failures!

It should not be an issue if the design was right, but we are seeing more and more reports of transmission breaking and tyres seem to play a significant role in that.  It doesn't always happen, but when it does  :o

The X6 rear diff is a clever electronically controlled variable torque-split unit and they are very expensive!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Gib6933

Post by Gib6933 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Yes.

I already do quite a bit of off road stuff with the x6 and it's surprising good in mud. Up to now I have towed a RRS and l200 and a freelander out of mud I had no problem with.

All I'm after is all season tyres.

Gib6933

Post by Gib6933 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:40 pm

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Realoem may help - copy of full BMW parts database - as it lists all of the approved tyres you can use, both RFT and non-RFT  :)

Perhaps the 19" are better in slippy stuff as the 20"s can be a bit challenging unless 'snow mode' is used (short press on the DSC button).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

coops

Post by coops » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:08 pm

I have conti cross contact uhp on mine and the x5 was impressively good recently in mud. Thought it was going to be flummoxed at the first blade of grass but didn't even nearly get stuck. Left the traction control fully on and only switched it to traction once.