Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Spacesaver for E71?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Spacesaver for E71?

Post by snipez999 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Do they do one? I'm just thinking if I go to Le Mans later this year and get a puncture there's no way I could drive for 10.5 hours opn a runflat.
What size do the X5s take is it the 15 or 16" or is there a bigger version available?
Alternatively should I hunt through EBay for a single 20" front wheel with a certain offset (ie type xxx will fit either front or back and 'will do' to get me home?)
Cheers

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spacesaver for E71?

Post by X5Sport » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm

There is one shown on Realoem but I've never gone beyond that point. You do have to remove some of the bits under the boot floor to be able to fit it, or at least I expect you would have to? I di sort of half discuss it with the dealer but went no further. The X6 has different sized centres for the wheels because of the active rear axle so a wheel for the rear will not fit he front, and a front wheel will not centre properly.

Your best bet might be to have Puncturesafe installed in the tyres. I used to have it in my motorbike tyres before it changed its name. It's water based and fills quite large holes. I did look at it for the X6 winter tyres before I sourced a set of RSC ones. You need 19 units per tyre. Take the valve out, pump this stuff in, put the valve back in and re-pressure the tyre. It spreads itself all round the interior.

E53 spare is a 17".

How are the repairs going to you X?
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Jalf

Post by Jalf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Just get european breakdown, save the trouble of carrying a wheel. I'm sure the wheel would be quite a missile in a crash!

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:38 am

I have Euro cover so will just stick with that I think.

The car's booked in for next week. Straight on the jig to check no bending has gone on - I just noticed that the rear quarter panel is 3mm or so lower on the N/S now - then new wheel & tyre and easy enough to sort out the dent. Probably new arch liner as well. I have BMW Insurance so get a like for like loaner for the week whilst she's in. Am going to ask for an X5 as the missus is due to change cars in May next year and wants to have a close look at one (currently drives a 2009 Audi Q7 S-Line but it's just not the same class as a Beemer in her eyes).

Went back to the crash site tonight and it's just plain ridiculous how the other driver found themselves in the wrong lane. 2 BIG arrows in the approach road before the r'about to divvy up the lanes, so now believe they were trying to avoid the queues and just cut across quick into the lane they really wanted midway through the r'about. I was probably in their blindspot (in a sodding great X6 LMAO)

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport