Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Angel Eye - Swap out the yellows for what?......

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
Flinders

Angel Eye - Swap out the yellows for what?......

Post by Flinders » Wed May 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Having been here for a few weeks now and read up on most of the things on the X6 I am now wanting to swap the yellow angel eyes to the white ones. There are so many posts recommending this and that but they are a bit out dated. Is there more up to date versions of lights I can swap to for the X6?

So far I have seen on HIDS Direct H8 bulbs for £139.99 and some LUX on ebay for £79.99. Are these worth it and which are the best?

Some links to the correct bulbs would help too and recommendation for ones that you can see in daylight  :)

Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Angel Eye - Swap out the yellows for what?......

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 17, 2017 9:23 pm

First try something like the MTEC 'HID lookalike' blue filtered H8 swap out bulbs.

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categories/mtec-bulbs

The Halogen ones are under £20 a pair, as bright as the OEM and blue/white.  Simple swap and at that price worth looking at.  No LED options on the market will give you the OEM look as they use super bright LEDs in special light guides.

Mine in full sunlight.  Can't remember which version, but they are not the current highest colour temperature one.

:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

PokenH00D

Post by PokenH00D » Wed May 17, 2017 11:30 pm

I got corona the other day with an X5 that was following me, bright double oem looking leds. It was a 10 plate.
I let it past and remembered the Reg number, grabbed the vin from the usual source and the build date was early 2010
So, there must be a solution out there. But the ones I got, although bright, are at best, poor when fitted.
I got the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited halogens. They are nearly white, and much brighter.
I also used Carly to turn the intensity up to full when used as DRL's (and switched off the rear lights with DRL's too)
2010 E71 X6 40d. Pearl Silver Metallic.
Carly Pro

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 am

I swapped mine out for some sort of led and luckily only paid £20 for them from someone on the Z4 forum.
No idea what make or wattage they are but am really happy with them.
The inner rings are brighter than the outer but it still looks better than the original yellow.
I had swapped the bulbs in the Z4 for similar leds years ago and had used the old bulbs from the Z4 in the X6 when they had blown. Seems they don't last that long so leds were on the cards anyway.
Wouldn't pay over £100 for them.

Flinders

Post by Flinders » Thu May 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks for all the info and links!

Its still all very confusing 9being a girl and all that!) as I thought the ones at £139.99 were the LEDS but the difference in prices for the H8's are miles apart! I'm going to give HIDS direct a call and see which is best option as they got cosmos blue and super white. Just want the yellow ones gone and some nice white ones in  ;)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 18, 2017 6:27 pm

[quote="PokenH00D"]
I got corona the other day with an X5 that was following me, bright double oem looking leds. It was a 10 plate.
I let it past and remembered the Reg number, grabbed the vin from the usual source and the build date was early 2010
[/quote]

2010 was when the E70 LCI appeared so it will be an early OEM LED equipped one.  The E71 didn't get them until much later.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Flinders

Post by Flinders » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for the tips for lights. I now have the HIDS H8's in and although they aren't as bright white as would like they are certainly a massive improvement on the yellow ones that originally were fitted.

There are some new ones that HIDs have in for £139.99 and these do give the bright white look I want for both rings but at £139.99 I will be giving it a miss at the moment!  :)) One day maybe!

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:25 pm

[quote="Flinders"]
Thanks for the tips for lights. I now have the HIDS H8's in and although they aren't as bright white as would like they are certainly a massive improvement on the yellow ones that originally were fitted.

There are some new ones that HIDs have in for £139.99 and these do give the bright white look I want for both rings but at £139.99 I will be giving it a miss at the moment!  :)) One day maybe!
[/quote]
Don't waste your money, the inner one will be bright, but not the outer. It's just the design of the light tube that carries the light to the outer fitting.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

Flinders

Post by Flinders » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Thank you Horizon. I won't waste my money on them then :-)