Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coming to end of approved used warranty - what to check for?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
soupdragon

Coming to end of approved used warranty - what to check for?

Post by soupdragon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:45 am

Car will be 5 years old next month, OCT 2013, BMW X6 40D. We bought at 3 years old and it came with 2 years approved used warranty.

Car seems to be running ok. A problem with these cars can be a judder on full lock but thankfully, no such issues. On a cold morning, the gearbox isn't as smooth, a little lurchy until it gets warmed up. Not sure if this is an issue or not. Would BMW even do anything with this or fob me off with 'its working fine'?
Car has about 80k miles on it. On the actual alloys, there is lots of pitting marks around the centre hub, and the bolt areas. Again, not sure if BMW consider this a 'warranty' issue.

In summary, would BMW even consider the wheel issue and the gearbox 'issue' under warranty or is it just a matter of tough luck, that's how it goes with older cars?
Is there anything else I should be checking, while the car is under warranty? Concerned that its got twin turbos and I'm about to run out of warranty, and I'm also concerned about the DPF. Not sure how I can test how good a shape they are in?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

(I'm considering a further warranty insurance policy too, but that's going to be a hell of an expense I think!)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Coming to end of approved used warranty - what to check for?

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Judder in full lock is failing diff, and usually (but not always) down to wrong tyres.  It’s a warning of impending trouble and is why changing tyres as a set and using ‘*’ marked is so important.  If you don’t have any judder then all is good  :)

I think BMW will only cover wheels for two years, but you can try.  It’s a common issue across all manufacturers and down to salty road in the UK and water based lacquers being mandatory.  You’ll need to demonstrate no harsh chemicals have been used.  Normally the Dealer will take piccies and forward to BMW for approval.

Gearbox they won’t touch unless an error code is being recorded.  Even then they seem to only replace, not repair (at vast expense).

Turbos are not a known issue.  As long as servicing is being done on time and you are ‘sympathetic’ in terms of warm up and cool down, they will last a while yet.  Not sure we have had a 40d with turbo issues yet (X5 or X6)

DPF should be fine unless you do a lot of short journeys but there are places you can get them cleaned if it does become an issue.  BMWwon’t touch it unless a manufacturing issue is the cause.  Wear & Tear item.

You can get the Carly adapter and App for Android or IOS.  It will allow you to read out faults but will cost you just around £100 all in. The paid for App allows certain actions normally only available to Dealers/Garages including resetting the DPF regen.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

soupdragon

Post by soupdragon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks lot. That's especially good to hear that turbo issues aren't common on these cars. Good shout re: the Carly app - money well spent I would say.

Might just get the gearbox oil swapped out at a good indi to see how the response is post oil change. All in all, the car is driving well - just that usual worry now that the warranty runs out next month and sods law, I'll have an issue in November lol!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:20 pm

The BMW Warranty may be expensive, but it’s good.  If you pay monthly the premium only changes if the Insurance Premium Tax goes up.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.