Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Angel Eyes Light Upgrade

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
Max5

Angel Eyes Light Upgrade

Post by Max5 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi all,

I know this question has been brought up several times over the years but can anyone recommend a decent LED upgrade to get rid of that yellowish look please? The newer cars have a nice bright white colour that to me looks so much better.

Searched and found posts from a few years ago but the links are no longer working.

I have looked on Ebay but so many have mixed reviews in regards to the outer ring not being as bright as the inner.

Any advice appreciated!

It's for a 2013 X6

Thanks

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Angel Eyes Light Upgrade

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:14 pm

Try hids-direct.co.uk

IIRC these are MTec brand, regular bulbs which are white but no regular bulb will get near the LED output of later models with factory LED systems.

My car with side lights on.
Attachments
20210104_110602.png
20210104_110602.png (454.32 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
Last edited by sapphireblack on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:14 pm

I use MTEC bulbs in mine as well. Inner ‘eye’ is brighter but I think that it simply the way the lighting channels work in the lamp unit. Nothing out there will match OEM LED for brightness, only colour temperature.

Any bulb/lamp must have the brightest spot exactly in the right place or the light-pipe that BMW use simply will not get properly illuminated. This is the issue with many LED type bulbs, especially those using multiple LEDs as the light source. The light pipes are only set to ‘see’ light from the spot where the filament in a conventional bulb (E-approved) must be. If the alignment isn’t 100% right, the rings aren’t properly lit and look dimmer.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Max5

Post by Max5 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:49 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:14 pm Try hids-direct.co.uk

IIRC these are MTec brand, regular bulbs which are white but no regular bulb will get near the LED output of later models with factory LED systems.

I know the photo is taken in the dark but these look pretty decent. What are they like in daylight out of interest?
I'll take a look on there website and see what they have.

Max5

Post by Max5 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:08 pm

Do either of you guys have a link to these MTEC's please?

They are for my 2013 X6

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:26 pm

Something like these ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1857757912

I bought mine 9 years ago so the product has very likely been updated since but I’ve never had to replace either of them.

You want H8 35W fitting. Anything above 4,500°K should be whiter. I think the real LEDs are around 5,000°K or above but don’t go too much higher or you go purple!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:39 pm

Max5 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:49 pm
sapphireblack wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:14 pm Try hids-direct.co.uk

I know the photo is taken in the dark but these look pretty decent. What are they like in daylight out of interest?
I'll take a look on there website and see what they have.
They are still white in daylight but not like LEDs. With DRLs selected on the car, dipped beam is on anyway, but at least everything is white with Xenons.

Does the linked website not work?

Max5

Post by Max5 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:24 pm

They are still white in daylight but not like LEDs. With DRLs selected on the car, dipped beam is on anyway, but at least everything is white with Xenons.

Does the linked website not work?
[/quote]

Yes I've looked on the website and they have a couple listed, just wondered which ones you went for on your vehicle.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:36 pm

I don't recall any model references now. I usually assume dearer are better, thats what I'd go for.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:48 pm

Why is your dipped beam on with DRLs - or am I misreading what you wrote? Dipped beam and DRL are different. Dipped beam and sidelights yes, but not DRLs. My car has front & rear DRL on as soon as the ignition is on. Dipped headlights needs either manual selection or if auto lights select them as it’s dark.
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:54 pm

You know, maybe i remember incorrectly, i haven't driven it since last March :| probably getting confused with my "old Treg" which i have been driving, up until tonite!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:03 am

I know what you mean. The furthest mine has been since March is Costco 20 miles away a couple of times. It’s parked up again now though that’s because of a suspected transfer box problem - even with the ‘proper’ tyres being used throughout its life. It might be that the crud has settled in the oils so a fluid change might sort it.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Angel Eyes Light Upgrade

Post by X5Sport » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:42 pm

Just had the first MTEC bulb fail after 11 years of use. Not bad IMHO given that I have both my front and rear DRLs selected as on all of the time the engine is running. Cut my hand changing the damned thing though. Those lamp units have very sharp edges!!

Bulb type is an H8 35W

Note: MTEC now sell under the brand name ‘Maruta’. Colour temp up from 4350°K (the standard for HID lamps) to 5500°K but I honestly can’t see much difference.