Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E70/71 Headlight Units

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

E70/71 Headlight Units

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:28 pm

I can't believe that BMW have gone to all the trouble of fitting twin projector light units to their cars without actually using the inboard unit on each side other than to support the angel eye rings. I know the newer Xenon systems have been 'bi-Xenon' for years but there was a conventional 'high beam' lamp inboard of them.

My E71 appears to no longer use these inboard lamps and there are neither wires nor bulb holders except for the Angel eyes system in the same space - same as the new X3? Has the E70 gone down the same route, or does it still have four lights?

I had noticed that when high beam is selected the lamps actually swivel to throw the Xenon HID beam further but it was only this evening that I twigged there was in fact only a single Xenon HID per side with no conventional lamps providing the long range function. Don't get me wrong, the lights are fine, but why go to all the trouble of a glass projector lens if it's not being used? Can't be cheap - not that BMW are that worried, but I have seen a comment from BMW regarding the new X3 that they didn't fit wires or bulbs on cost grounds if they weren't required. Is there a requirement in other countries that require these lamps to be operational, or is it purely aesthetics?

Personally I'd rather they were in use, but there appears to be no way of providing the additional function as the wiring and bulbholders are absent and obstructed by the H8 lampholder for the DRL rings. I like to have as much light on the road at night as possible and an extra pair of lamps is always a good idea around here with the wildlife running about!!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

petert

Re: E70/71 Headlight Units

Post by petert » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 am

I'm going to look closer at mine (E70 35d). I've got adaptive Xenons and frankly have been less impressed with the lights than on previous BMWs with similar lights. I don't think my inner lights operate either on dipped or main beam either even though there are projector lenses and bulbs in the holders.
I'll let you know what I find.
Peter T
2010 E70 35D vermilion red, beige leather, Sport, Technology and Executive packages plus running boards.