Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Combox (6VC) & iPhone/iPod Touch IOS 4.x USB issue

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Combox (6VC) & iPhone/iPod Touch IOS 4.x USB issue

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:29 pm

For those who are getting (or have already got) recent build BMW vehicles built since August 2010, and which include the Combox Controller & USB Interfaces (option Code 6VC, 6FL) you may find that the audio plays perfectly over Bluetooth but skips if using the USB cable supplied (the BMW Y-cable is no longer needed) with your iPhone or iPod Touch where IOS 4.1 is installed.

BMW are aware of the issue and currently believe it is an issue with IOS 4.1 which should (hopefully) be corrected when version 4.2.x finally gets released this month. There has been much publicity on the web about serious issues found after the original Gold Disk was released and a new version was released this week - whether it will still be called IOS4.2 or IOS 4.2.1, or something else remains to be seen.

I have found the issue when using either of the family's iPhones, but not when using the older iPod Tough (2nd Gen) running on IOS 2. The iPod works perfectly, but the iPhones don't.

My Dealer contacted BMW and they confirmed they know about it and are waiting for Apple to fix it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:40 pm

This combox sounds great. Shame my dec 2009 x doesn't have it. When I looked into my options shortly after I got the car they were
A) buy a cradle to put my iPhone in that will allow me to charge it and use the roof aerial OR
B) but a cable to connect my iPhone via my additional USB and the aux port, but that doesn't charge the phone.

At the time I made various swearing noises... And did nothing (I've got by by copying most of my music onto the car hard drive via USB.
Does anyone know if there's a better solution for iPhone use now?
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end