Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My new X6, but a few problems

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
DAVIEG9

My new X6, but a few problems

Post by DAVIEG9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi all, newbie here,

Purchased my first X6 on Friday from Astle BMW, its a 60 plate Xdrive40d, 12,500 miles, black on black 20 inch rims. Hopefully my photo has uploaded.
I love it, it looks fantastic, drives beautiful, but for almost £35k, its lacking a couple of things

1. The Satnav doesn't have a postcode option, I have to put street & city, which is annoying!!!
Can this be upgraded, if so how much will it cost? Have I missed something? The salesman told me it had the option but he couldn't find it either, I assumed it would be standard.

2. My Iphone 5 lead only charges my phone, can't seem to stream music. Do I have to buy the BMW Iphone5 cradle? If so is this dealer fit or can I do it myself?

3. With the MOT I've noticed that the two front tyres have advisorys on them warning they are close to the legal limit, as you can see from the photo these are the bmw 20 inch 259 star wheels, but they have been sprayed black. The Rear & front tyres are slightly different sizes, I've just had a quote of £1100 for 4 new run flat bridgestone tyres!!!!! Can I argue the toss with Astle BMW ??? And do I have a leg to stand on??

Apart from those points, i love it, real head turner, I'm driving to the Snowbombing festival in Austria in 4 weeks, can't wait to take it on the autobahn. Probably get it remapped before then.

Cheers all

ImageImage

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My new X6, but a few problems

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Welcome.... :hi:

You should be able to put the postcode in with no problems.  I certainly can in mine (built Oct 2010).  Have you got pro nav fitted and has the dealer updated the system firmware?  You also need to check that the recalls for the front propshaft and security system have been done.

iPhone 5 can be a problem as there is no 'iPod out', but with an OEM Apple lead I thought it did work.  Which USB port are you using?  Most of us stream via Bluetooth though as it's more often successful.

There are iPhone 5 cradles available for the armrest and it is a 2 min job to swap out.  The correct cradle depends upon options fitted.  If you have smartphone integration then the full multimedia version should work as long as your car was built AFTER 4th Oct 2010 and you have option SA6VC (Combox Controller) fitted - you need to check the factory build sheet.  Before 4th Oct there are no Comboxes on the X6 and the standard cradle is the only one you can use.  I think they are about £70 if memory serves.

20" wheel set is 'staggered' and the rears are wider.  You do not need to go to BMW for replacements though if they were on an advisory the Dealer really ought to have replaced them.  RFTs are very expensive.  Some owners have chosen to go to normal tyres and carry a can of sealant, or buy the spare wheel kit - though that means you lose the space under the boot floor.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Are there any wheels on there!?!?
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi and welcome,

As Richard says, the dealer should have swapped out the tyres.  I would be questioning the sales manager.  Seems they are taking short cuts with your safety.  I have been told by a BMW dealer that they are required to sell cars with at least 4mm of tread, but not sure if that was a dealer imposed limit or a BMW UK one.

Don

Finglonga

Post by Finglonga » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:18 am

Welcome, nice colour bit too shiny for me though......  :))

I have a Nov 2010 build and as said postcode should work fine.

I use a small patriot 32gb flash drive connected to the USB in the arm rest for my music saves connecting a phone every time with the cradle.

Take it the £1100 is the price from the dealer, if they will not replace them for you go elsewhere as you will get them for half that price. Keep an eye on the pressures as well and the inner edge of the rears.

DAVIEG9

Post by DAVIEG9 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks all,

Been wrestling with the dealer all week, took the car for an independent tyre inspection and although the tyres had up to 4mm tread in the middle, the front two tyres were almost bald on the outside, managed to finally get the dealer to agree to pay for the front two tyres.
£1100 is 'mates rate' price off my pal !! I dread to think what the dealer prices are, its costing me £600 for the rear tyres, and £500 for the front two !!!What I'll do is sell the current part worn tyres on ebay/gumtree for around £400 for the set of 4, and just put new ones all around on mine for my Austria trip.

Postcode option is still annoying me, the vehicle was first registered in December 2010, but I'm not sure when it was actually built, how can I update the system to get it to accept a postcode??

I did not realise how much of a head turner this car was!! I've got Celtic Tuning coming out tomorrow to fit an ECU, should see the BHP up to 361 and an extra 4-5mpg

Was thinking I'm going to bite the bullet and buy an iphone cradle, all my music is on my iphone.
Tried streaming via bluetooth but that doesnt seem to work either, I'm no technophobe, I'm thinking I have an outdated navigation/music system

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Have you got the iPhone and Bluetooth set for phone AND music?  You need to have both on.  You can also send addresses to the car from Google maps as long as you have a current BMW Assist subscription.

What map have you got installed on the HDD in the CIC drive?  It's under the 'Options' button when in Nav.  Scroll down and you can query it.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finglonga

Post by Finglonga » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:09 pm

[quote="DAVIEG9"]

£1100 is 'mates rate' price off my pal !!
[/quote]

Sorry, just read the firs post again as thought you meant £1100 for the front two only. :o The local dealer wanted to charge me £950 for the front two alone a few months ago, £1100 for a full set isn't bad at all mine worked out at £1144 for Dunlops RFT all round.

As for the build date, it is on a sticker under the bonnet.

DAVIEG9

Post by DAVIEG9 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks.
Map version is 101092.0.15
Road map Europe PREMIUM 2010

How do I set my Bluetooth for music??

Thanks guys

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:58 am

You have to pair your CIC to the phone you'll get pass codes on both units to input and that should able the music streaming feature,how it helps.

Jasonx6gordon

Post by Jasonx6gordon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Did you get it up 2 360bhp and what's it like 2 drive now.
Black Bmw x6 40d 2014 dynamic pack media pack tinted windows 20 inch diamond cut wheels 5 seats heated seats running boards

DAVIEG9

Post by DAVIEG9 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Mpower - thanks mate, but how do i do that? I'm not sure what a CIC is?
My phone works fine via Bluetooth.

And Jason, had Celtic tuning out on Monday, not sure of the exact figures as you need the rolling road and it was a mobile service, but the speed off the lights has definitely increased. I've just filled the tank up so I'll see how the mpg works out.
A good service I thought though from Celtic tuning, very professional and knowledgable.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:20 pm

CIC = Car Infotaintment Computer, or the current version of the iDrive to the rest of us.... :)

You should have both a phone and music symbol against each device.  You need to select the music function as well.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:37 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
CIC = Car Infotaintment Computer, or the current version of the iDrive to the rest of us.... :)

You should have both a phone and music symbol against each device.  You need to select the music function as well.

Richard
[/quote]

+1 as Richard has just posted

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Just PM'd you some suggestions to try.......

R