Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X6 or X5 Residuals

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
Mavster

X6 or X5 Residuals

Post by Mavster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 pm

if you were mainly interested in Residual value in 12 months time and you had £27k to spend would you buy a very high spec 2010 X5 35dSE or a medium spec  2010 X6 3.0d. I have to decide by tomorrow, so welcome your thoughts.

I asked a salesman at a dealer and he said, go with the X5 as there is more of a market going forwards so will be easier to sell. When I did some research it looks like there is a difference in trade value of a few £k between the two cars above, X6 more expensive..

So, for residuals alone, will they equalize or will the X6 always command a premium ? Your help would be most well received.

Thanks
Steve

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X6 or X5 Residuals

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Bearing in mind both cars came out at similar times - well almost - the X6 is slightly more expensive to buy and rarer so may be command better residuals.  There are a lot more X5s to choose from so the price is lower.  Personally I don't think an X6 would be harder to sell.  Those on Dealer forecourts don't tend to be there for long.

May be that Dealer has a glut of X5s and needs to shift them?

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Although one may do better than the other at the time of sale, I would say that there wouldn't be that much in it and as such go for the car you prefer as you will get more enjoyment from it and not go around wishing you had chosen the other.

Don

Jasonx6gordon

Post by Jasonx6gordon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:59 pm

I agree with don. There both really nice cars so it should come down to which you prefer. If you pick one over The other due to value for money your going to see the other and think dam should of picked that. Test drive both and go with the one you enjoy the most (BIASED) x6 every time.
Black Bmw x6 40d 2014 dynamic pack media pack tinted windows 20 inch diamond cut wheels 5 seats heated seats running boards

Mavster

Post by Mavster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Thanks Guys for your comments.

I think I would want is the X6 as there are less about. I like the looks of both, but the X5 has all the options you would ever want (so I would miss them)2

The nail in the coffin for the X5 was going to be that its trade value was 3 k less than for the x6, but the trade up cost from my current (trade in ) car  to both these is very similar at both dealers..

My wife has just told me to go with the "be sensible with your money option" so I guess that told me  ::)

Jasonx6gordon

Post by Jasonx6gordon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:18 pm

What is the spec on the x6.
Black Bmw x6 40d 2014 dynamic pack media pack tinted windows 20 inch diamond cut wheels 5 seats heated seats running boards

Mavster

Post by Mavster » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:34 pm

As you can see, it is OK, but nothing really special...

Standard

Auto-Dim Interior Mirror
Leather interior
Metallic paint
Automatic Air Conditioning
Dynamic Cruise Control
First Aid Kit & Triangle
Headlamp Washer System
Park Distance Control
Rain Sensor
Xenon Headlamps
Brushed Aluminium Trim

Options
Comfort seats. front
Dynamic package
Ext. mirrors - folding. auto dimming
High-beam Assistant
Loudspeaker system - BMW Advanced
Lumbar support. driver and front pass.
Media package
Model designation deletion
Reversing Assist camera with Top View
Roof Rails Silver

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:59 pm

[quote="Jasonx6gordon"]
I agree with don. There both really nice cars so it should come down to which you prefer. If you pick one over The other due to value for money your going to see the other and think dam should of picked that. Test drive both and go with the one you enjoy the most (BIASED) x6 every time.
[/quote]

Agreed I would go with the car I would want whichever model it is because if you don't you will think I should have bought that one instead. So my best advice is to do that as long as it does what you want.

Re the spec I would
a) have a minimum spec I require for the car i.e. the model, the engine size, mileage, no of seats, outside colour, interior trim say black comfort seats, etc etc and
b) any additional items I would want say a sunroof or head up display etc and then try try to find the best car with that spec in my price range.

The reason for going for as good a spec as possible is the items on a second hand car only add a few hundred pounds to the selling price but originally could have been thousands.

When you come to sell people expect more for their money as time goes on and if two similar cars are for sale then the better spec car is likely to be in demand over a lower spec model and hopefully sell easier.

Hth and good luck with the decision and remember there is more than one X5 or X6 out there it may just take a bit Otis to find the one you want but bmw built loads of them it is just sometimes you have to be patient and or travel to get the right car.

This is from the voice of recent experience speaking -partly to myself as well, long story and that's off another post
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Mavster

Post by Mavster » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:51 pm

I decided to go with the X6 in the end  O:-) Hope it will be ready to collect in a few days, once they sort out the pitted running boards  8)

Cheers Steve

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Congratulations......

Best choice....though I may be a tad biased.... O:-)

Richard

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:14 pm

The man has style.  Go X6er.  ;)

Don

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:50 pm

i drove my brother in laws x6 a while back and I thought it was awesome the diesel felt like a v8 Which was odd and the car looks different and I have seen a lot less of them about in comparison to the x5.

Also do a search on here for westside x6 I did like what he did to that one 

The only thing my brother in laws was missing was it was only a 4 seater but I have seen on website you can convert it to 5 seats which is more practicle.
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Hope its a manly colour
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:39 pm

[quote="shadrack"]
Hope its a manly colour
[/quote]
said like a true Yorkshireman.  Yorkshire, where men are men and sheep are scared!  ;)

Don and his Southern coloured car.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:49 pm

When I ordered mine there was no 5 seat option and to be honest the two rear seats in the 4seat version are very comfortable.  Not sure if that carries across when you have the 5.  I have never needed the 5-seat capability (well not yet).

I have looked at one conversion but the centre seatbelt is not of the right type as I believe all three belts have to be full type after a certain year, rather than just lap belts.  Getting the right belts means changing the whole seat assembly from what I can see.

Richard