Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

hi bmw x5 3i 04 owner and dont have a scoobie mines struggling to turn over ,testing batterie ,

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
jakeberetta

hi bmw x5 3i 04 owner and dont have a scoobie mines struggling to turn over ,testing batterie ,

Post by jakeberetta » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:56 am

yes so am having problems getting it turning over it flew through mot last month , suspect something draining the battery starts ok with a trickle charger from mains but not great, guessing jump from leads cold will tell me if it's the battery or not?> thanks in advance :tumbleweed:

Sandy5454

Re: hi bmw x5 3i 04 owner and dont have a scoobie mines struggling to turn over ,testing batterie ,

Post by Sandy5454 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:31 pm

A lot of BMW have quite a high battery drain just sitting still. My current X3 wont go more than about 14 days before I have to put on my smart battery charger. First step is check the battery voltage with a meter. If you cant do that just charge your battery, and if you think the battery is on its way out most garages will do a battery load test for you ( for free). Modern batteries seem only good for about 5 years. I just had to replace mine.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: hi bmw x5 3i 04 owner and dont have a scoobie mines struggling to turn over ,testing batterie ,

Post by X5Sport » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:42 pm

Also worth getting a current draw check done for the starter motor. There was an issue with cars on the 2003-2005 age bracket with faulty starter motors. It should draw no more than 180A when cranking. More than that it’s toast and needs replacing. Some draw so much current that the battery cannot cope and goes flat after a couple of attempts.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:22 pm

If its not being used much the battery will go flat quite quickly ,sitting any time flat severely reduces how long they last too . No point going to get it tested if its near flat as that won't prove anything other than its flat. how old is it as they don't seem to last as well these days ?