Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello everyone

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
740mick

Hello everyone

Post by 740mick » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Newbie here from Trentham,Stoke on Trent,
Current cars are e61 525ise and e46 325Ci sport,
I,ve signed up as i,m thinking of buying an e53 X5 to replace the 525i

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hello everyone

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Hello and :hi:

There’s a very good Buyers Guide to the E53 on the Forum and it will tell you a lot about your potential purchase along with things to watch out for - good or bad.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 am

Hi and welcome to the forum

If looking for an E53 it's worth reading the buyers guide first, remember the newest of these cars is 12 yrs old. They are nice cars to drive and don't feel like they are a 4x4 and o have good road manners.

The diesel 3.0d is popular for most where as some go the V8 route if using it less and there is also the lesser know 3.0 petrol as well. It's worth looking for regular maintenance on these cars whether by an Independent garage or by the owner you know BMW can be costly if they go wrong, as it will show that repairs have been carried out and not just deferred.

So it's worth taking your time as good car is great but a bad one as some have found is expensive to fix.

The prefacelift had a 5 speed box and the facelift 2004 on had a 6 speed box, and some members have had probs with bother and they are costly to fix. It is worth making sure no water ingress in footwells as door membranes can be broken.

Also the electrics need checking everything from windows, mirrors, dash display, aircon, rear lights as water can get in. If there is a panoramic sunroof check several times as this is a known weak spot. 

Also check if fitted with satnav that the unit works as it should and thscreen display works. As you probably know nearly everything was an option on them but retro fitting bits is possible on these.

Most have Rear air suspension which should sit level and if down it should only pump till level and then cut off if not could be the pump or pump valve and or airbags may need looking at. If looking at the early 4.6i or 4.8i they can also have front air suspension which is nice but again can be problematic as some have found.

Again  the suspension can have a knocks front the front and worth checking if from the upper or lower wishbones with worn joints. Check the Tyres as the fronts can wear out on the outside edge and the rears on the inside edges.

This is not excluding the usual car checks etc.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:44 am

If you are thinking of going down the V8 route ,can I put in a plug for the LPG conversion, makes the V8 an economical alternative.
LPG is approx 60p per litre and when you do the maths works out at approx 30-35 mpg, various other benefits : cleaner running, cheaper tax, engine benefits.
I have a vested interest, have run mine since 2006. Other members also well pleased.

Other members who have LPG please comment.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

740mick

Post by 740mick » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 am

Thanks for the welcome and info fellas,
I,m quite accustomed now to regular BMW problems having also run an e39 530i Sport Tourer for 4yrs,its the petrol version i shall be looking at for my prospective purchase.