Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking to buy

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
staffordcox

Looking to buy

Post by staffordcox » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:11 pm

Evening all. I just registered as I’m looking for a new weekend toy. My Mitsubishi GTO seems to spend more time off the road waiting to be repaired than it does being driven, so I think it’s time to scratch the itch I’ve always had for a V8.

I think I’ve fallen for an IS and will be spending the next few weeks trawling the forum for advice.

Cheers for having me.

Staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2001 'Y' 4.4i Sport in Topaz Blue

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Looking to buy

Post by graemeX5 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi and welcome Staff

If you are after an X5 then probably the best is to read the buyers guide and as you said an IS V8 I assume it's the E53 version.

Again check the car carefully especially that the electrics all work such as pan sunroof which can cost £4K for a new unit fitted, windows, mirrors, air con, basically allelectrics. Also check for water ingress in footwells esp the rear as the door membrane if damaged can create leaks.

As the car will have air suspension check the dash console button to check it all works and sits level if uneven it could be a leaking airbag which is I think about £250 using arnott ones also that it goes up and down okay as it's supposed to do as the latest one will be 12 years old and it's costly and problematic to fix.

Also engines look for any blue smoke valve stem seals can go on higher mileages.

The tyre ideally need to be the same make even though they are different sizes front to rear , so check inside edges at rear and outside at the front for wear. Gearboxes should be smooth and although BMW say sealed for life come members with higher mileage cars have had them serviced.

Again then it's the usual checks on any car

Look for a well maintained example with evidence of repairs done so you know the owner has not let any issues slide.

And if in doubt walk away from a bad car as some have found it to be very costly to fix them. If you see a car you can also post a link and members will have a look and give you their opinion and advice on what they spot which is always helpful

Good luck with the search.

Ps I wanted an 4.8is but couldn't find a good one and ended up with the 4.4 others have gone for the 4.6is as well
But try and get the the best possible example for your budget

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

staffordcox

Re: Looking to buy

Post by staffordcox » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks Graeme, that’s a great post.

I had an E61 530D so it sounds like many of the same faults. The panoramic roof was fixed with a Dremmel :)

It’s going to be a few months and as I have my F11 for work, I’m in no hurry to buy. I’ll keep saving until I find the one.

Thanks again
Staff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2001 'Y' 4.4i Sport in Topaz Blue