Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A Impostor Looking for Buying advice

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
Deadmellow

A Impostor Looking for Buying advice

Post by Deadmellow » Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi All
I feel like a bit of an impostor, as I don’t actually have an X5……yet.
I brought a Discovery 3 with countless hidden problems a couple of months back, which is now nothing more than a driveway ornament at present. :fuelfire: I'm now in a legal battle with the dealer who sold it to me. The experience has put me off buying another Land Rover and I’m back at the only other car that was in the running from the beginning, being an X5.
As my cash is still tied up in the Land Rover, I’m looking to purchase a Late 2007 to 2010 E70 with the view to upgrading it later. I want the 3.0d and I’m not normally averse to considering High mileage vehicles, providing it comes with full-service history and maintenance record.

Things go wrong on all cars, I get that. But of course, everyone who has a bad experience posts about it online which makes it very hard to research what really tends to go wrong, besides the odd catastrophic failure.

So if you kind folks could give me any tips on what to look out for when buying an E70 I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance, and I look forward to helping and contributing to the community once I have the car.

All the best.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: A Impostor Looking for Buying advice

Post by graemeX5 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 am

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear of the woes with the Discovery never nice whatever car.

Re the E70 the is a good buyers guide in the E70 section which is a great help.

Again if going for a diesel be aware some of the earlier cars 07-08 I think. have the highe road tax levels over £500, so it may be worth going for a later car if poss The specs vary as most things were options, the SE had side steps and more huts as standard but black plastic arches where as the MSport had painted arches and less spec unless options added.

It's worth driving both as some prefer. A softer ride esp due to the roads where as some like me prefer the M Sport. Again the Se can come with smaller wheels 18 but some were specd up to 19 or 20 where as generally the MSport had 19 or 20.

As these cars are getting older and a diesel it's worth checking the car runs okay as some owners have had prob where the DPF filter can get blocked but a good run usually works , but in extreme case it may require a new one.

Again when buying one check the electrics to make sure they work okay, and batteries have o work hard and look for any water ingress in the front or rear footwells.

If you find one it may be worthputting a link up so members can I've you the opinions and may spot something you havent

Hope that helps and am sure the. Others will add to the info
Graeme

Reusch

Re: A Impostor Looking for Buying advice

Post by Reusch » Sat May 11, 2019 1:17 pm

How did you pay for the Discovery did you pay any of it with a credit card etc if so get them involved.