Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New to the X's

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
Neil Jones

New to the X's

Post by Neil Jones » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Good Afternoon all. I'm classing myself as a newbie to your forums. I will be soon looking to purchase a E83 BMW X3 for at least a year or so, in order to drive a a vehicle with some extra height to accommodate a minor spinal issue.
I'd like to find out some basic issues to be aware of and to look for whilst viewing a second hand vehicle so that I can avoid buying a money pit.

The initial vehicle that I've found to look at is a 2004 X3 3.0i Sport. Automatic petrol engine

I'd be very interested to hear some of any major issues, concerns, things to look for and also any things that are beneficial.
This particular vehicle has a panoramic roof. I've always been wary of cutting holes in roofs of vehicles!!

Any advice would be greatly welcomed from the X community.

I have experience of driving the X5's from 2014 onwards through working on the motorways of Cheshire.....

I'll be trawling the forums to try and find any issues as well.

Many thanks to all.

Have a great evening!!

Neil Jones

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New to the X's

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:33 pm

Hello and :hi:

One definite area to look carefully at is tyres. The 3.0i is likely to have a staggered set up and there is a known weakness (as in many xDrive cars) connected with wrong tyre choices or having more than about 1.5mm of difference between axles. Ideally the car should be shod with ‘*’ marked rubber - denotes meeting BMW diameter limits (amongst other things) and avoids transmission windup. Square setup wheel sets are less of an issue as the tyre sizes are all the same.

Sunroofs need to be checked to make sure that they work. White metal castings used by the manufacturer do have a bit of a bad rep for snapping leaving the wiener to either lock the rear section or have the whole thing replaced at significant expense (£2k ish).

Gearboxes at that age are weak, so listen for noises or lumpy/notchy changes.

As with any car that age, all electrics need looking at.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Neil Jones

Post by Neil Jones » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:16 pm

Many thanks for your welcome and your advice.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:19 pm

If available, top of my list was comfort seats, I have rods in my spine and find I can do 200 mile journeys with no discomfort whatsoever.

Lez