Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie Part 2

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
Neil Jones

Newbie Part 2

Post by Neil Jones » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:36 am

Good Afternoon to All. I made an earlier post asking about the first generation X3, with view to buying one. Since then, circumstances may have changed slightly and I may now be looking at the E70 X5. Its going to be the same questions about from the first post...….assist me safely join the world of X5's. I'll be doing some slow time research about various issues, but if anyone has some good advice about likely pitfalls and issues that I have to look at and consider whilst viewing and test driving these vehicles, it'd be greatly received if shared.

Looking at the available vehicles within the price range, I'll be going towards a 3.0 Diesel engine around the 100k range, hopefully lower mileage where available.
Do these engines have belts or chains, and when should I look at purchasing and when should I look at walking away.

I look forward to hearing from you all

Have a great day all.

Neil Jones

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Newbie Part 2

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:07 pm

The engines are all chain driven. M57 3.0d engines are forward mounted chains with N57 series engines (2010 onwards) being rear mounted meaning it’s an engine out job to get at them.

The LCI E70 (white LED ‘Angel Eye’ lighting) is more economical, lower tax, 8-sp gearbox and better iDrive (and have the N57 engine). Pre-LCI (2010) have 6sp transmissions with later cars being 8sp. The latter is a very reliable and effortless drive. Economy varies from mid-20 to mid 30mpg.

30d is single turbo, 30SD and 35D are twin turbo M57 power units, 40D is the twin turbo N57 variant and the M50d is the triple turbo N57 hooligan model. All are still 3-litre engines.

As with all xDrive BMWs fitted with staggered wheels, tyres are critical. If you are testing any then a slow speed drive on full-lock that reveals any odd noises or jerkiness usually means diff trouble. Walk away! Cars built around 2011 had a recall for faulty front propshaft with the UJ failing catastrophically. Many were checked and deemed OKby BMW Dealers only to fail thereafter. There have been recalls for Security system updates, overheating in the ventilation system and may be others. Make sure they have all been done.

Rear air suspension bags are a known weakness (as with most cars fitted with such).

The later iDrive (called the CIC type) is much better than the earlier CCC type and includes Bluetooth media streaming. If you find one then get the VIN decided to find what the car was built with. Adding options in E70s and beyond is much harder than on say the E53 as there are licence keys needed as well as wiring mods required. Make sure you know what options you want before looking and then as suggested ask for the build sheet.

Most E70s are fitted with run flat tyres and some describe the ride as harsh or crash. You can fit non-rft if you wish. There is no spare included as standard, but you can get one from Dealers. The 7-seat model cannot take a spare.
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Neil Jones

Post by Neil Jones » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:54 pm

Wow, many thanks for a comprehensive reply and what look out for. How will I know if the wheels are 'staggered' Will it be clearly evident through the tyre sizes alone. I suspect that I will be looking at a pre 2010 model, as finance will dictate this, as I don't want an enormous mileage on the vehicle, around the 100k will be to my liking. The iDrive systems, as long as they have a bluetooth connection for a phone, don't really bother me too much, DAB would be great for the footy and the cricket on 5Live!! I've seen a vehicle with all the bits that I desire, including a reversing camera, so hopefully I'll be off to look at it on Friday!!!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:54 am

Staggered wheels have wider tyres at the rear. Check for even tyre tread depth front/rear, and ‘*’ marked rubber for the safest choice.

Good luck on your hunt. Very late 2009 builds may also have the updated CIC system (7 buttons on the controller) and a wider screen.

Bluetooth was a cost option on many versions.

Neil Jones

Post by Neil Jones » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:09 pm

X5Sport wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:54 am Staggered wheels have wider tyres at the rear. Check for even tyre tread depth front/rear, and ‘*’ marked rubber for the safest choice.

Good luck on your hunt. Very late 2009 builds may also have the updated CIC system (7 buttons on the controller) and a wider screen.

Bluetooth was a cost option on many versions.
What is the '*' for, does it indicate a particular type of tyre build? I'm off to view and drive a 2007 reg on Friday. I'll be listening to the gear box on and steering on full lock, as advised on previous posts. Here is the link;

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... on=at_cars

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:42 pm

‘*’ mark means they meet the BMW spec and the rolling radii will match even on staggered tyre sets, so you get no chance of transmission wind up. Others such as Audi and Merc have their own mark ‘AO’ or MO’. BMW are also now starting to use MOE (Mercedes Original - Extended) on some of their cars. You’re looking at around £1k for correct tyres., which is why people take a chance and hope nothing breaks.

If for example you have a BMW Warranty and don’t fit the right tyres, they can (and have) turned any claims connected with the transmission down.

Interesting that there are no pictures of the interior. It says ‘cloth twill’ seats which is unusual as apart from ex-Police vehicles, I have only seen leather in an E70. I would knock money off for that if it’s real. £8k is pushing it IMHO and £7k would feel nearer market as it’s 13 years old and got 100k on it. It would need to be immaculate for £8k. The detailed spec doesn’t match the headline spec, or the piccies. The wheels are not 18’ (detailed spec) they look like 21” as it says in the headline spec. Worth having a careful look at the build sheet via the VIN. Might be honest mistakes, but (to me) it shows a lack of care by the Dealer/Seller.