Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Greetings from Sp3ctre

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
sp3ctre
Administrator
Administrator

Greetings from Sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi all,

I thought it was about time I officially introduced myself, especially as you may have noticed I am one of the admin team.

A few of you may know me from Z4-forum.com, but more of you probably won't, so allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Jim, and like I said, I run Z4-forum.com. For those of you who don't know, that site was founded in a similar manner to this one. There was a pre-existing close-knit community that disappeared overnight, leaving hundreds of active members with nowhere to go. Sound familiar?

Anyway, I was one of those members, and after a week or so, when it became apparent the old information was gone, decided a new forum was in order and created z4-forum.com. The main thing I wanted to do was make sure the massive loss of data could never happen again, so I made sure the infrastructure the forum runs on is bullet-proof (backups in multiple locations etc).

The Z4 site has grown quite nicely over the past few years, and a few of the members there also own the X-series. When pvr PM'ed me for advice regarding the lost X5 site we decided that it made sense for me to provide the forum resource and back this forum onto the infrastructure that powers the Z4-forum, with pvr and AW8 running the site as forum admins.

So that's where we are today really. No, I don't own an X5 or X6, but I do have a lot of interest in the BMW brand and a lot of experience of running forums. From that aspect I will not be as "active" in the model specific discussions as some others, but I will be active in building this site, adding features, and making sure that things like spam posts get nailed quickly.

If anyone has any comments or questions, please feel free to ask. I look forward to working with you guys and hopefully we can quickly build this site back to what it was before the community disappeared :thumbsup:

Pewters

Re: Greetings from Sp3ctre

Post by Pewters » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:43 pm

I think i speak for all when i say again a BIG THANKS for using your resources and time to take on another forum :thumbsup:

sp3ctre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:49 pm

[quote=""Pewters""]I think i speak for all when i say again a BIG THANKS for using your resources and time to take on another forum :thumbsup:[/quote]

You're most welcome, a pet hate of mine is forum admins that don't respect the amount of time and effort from all the members that it takes to build up the community they are in charge of, so anything I can do to make sure the future of the forum is safe I am happy to do.

... my only concern is I might have to buy one of these X-things, and I can't really afford to run one as a 2nd car LOL! :D

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:51 pm

[quote=""sp3ctre""]

... my only concern is I might have to buy one of these X-things, and I can't really afford to run one as a 2nd car LOL! :D[/quote]

Has been known to happen ... :cry:
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:07 pm

Big thanks from me too Sp3ctre, you can see there are a number of us who were lost without the forum - your hard work is much appreciated. Hope you can make it to one of the meets soon, sure you'll get quite a few free drinks, besides x555 'says' he's not drinking so no chance of running out! :thumbsup:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:08 pm

I think Pewters has said it all there really thanks Jim for helping pvr not making a hash of it all :rofl: no seriously thanks a lot as i think has been said before on here/there i joined for the info but have made some great friends of here (yes i know sad git)and it's a cracking friendly forum to be part of so hats off to you pvr,AW8 and all who were involved getting us a new home sorted. :worshipbmw: ohh and btw you're right to be concerned as the x's aren't cheap to run :driving:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

5hep

Post by 5hep » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:21 pm

As above many thanks Sp3ctre,pvr & AW8

Maybe should organise a grand opening pissup :trampoline:
Faded Carbon Black'ish 3.0d Exclusive / Abarth 500 Esseesse

jeegnesh

Greetings from Sp3ctre

Post by jeegnesh » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:54 pm

[quote=""5hep""]As above many thanks Sp3ctre,pvr & AW8

Maybe should organise a grand opening pissup :trampoline:[/quote]
Wonder where we could have that, hmmmm
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:55 pm

Come on Jon boy - get a new thread going. Pick a date!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds