Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Yay!!! Newbie from old, collected new X today!

Introduce yourself, (and post a photo if you have one).
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Yay!!! Newbie from old, collected new X today!

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Can't leave you guys alone for a few hours and look what happens!!! So glad to see the forum resurrected, albeit in a slightly different format - well done, AW8, pvr and anyone else who helped. Please shout if we can help.....what about donations like the other BMW forums? I'd be very happy to help contribute to running costs!

On another totally different note, I've just arrived from my marathon round trip to Hexagon BMW in London to collect my new-to-me 4.8is........had the "little" 3.0i valeted after emptying her of all the "stuff" one collects in cars, and drove her for the last journey I would make in her....Hexagon were pleased with the condition (part ex was subject to survey condition as it was all done via phone / email) and I was equally pleased with the 2005 4.8is in Le Mans blue waiting majestically alongside a very nice Z4 and an equally lovely M3. Wish I had a massive garage and the funds for some of these beauties!!!

The long drive home was sublime and the V8s throaty burble brought a big grin to my face - I've missed the big engine, despite enjoying the 3.0i, whose performance was not bad at all. The Big Mama though, made the miles pale into insignificance and I saw a few people casting an eye on her when I stopped at the services to fill up. So far, with a mix of driving around Islington, heavy traffic and lovely open motorway, the average is around 20MPG, not too bad when I take the 3.0i average of 23-24mpg.

Will post more on the biggie tomorrow or later in the week once I've had a chance to get some good pics. So far I'm quite overwhelmed with this beauty.....all I can say is WOW!!!! :driving: :D :thumbsup:
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Yay!!! Newbie from old, collected new X today!

Post by pvr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:04 pm

Welcome back, that does sound nice.

I assume you were so depressed about the forum going down that you bought another car? :D
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Quite. That's the story I'm sticking to as well!!! It was very therapeutic and I'm now completely recovered!!! :)

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Pewters

Post by Pewters » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:11 am

Love the IS mate................would love to know how you got 24mpg out of a 3.0i though :|

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:20 am

Glad you made it here.

How sad am I ?

I sat here grinning when I read of your new purchase - genuinely plesased for you :)

Looking forward to more info but no rush- meantime enjoy the small exclusive community & the new car !
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks AW8, I've covered about 500miles since collecting the 4.8 yesterday and the grin hasn't faded yet. Will do a write -up in progress on my experience with the Big Mama. :)

Pewters....I only ever use the most expensive, highest-octane petrol, usually BP Ultimate. Never fill up at supermarkets or Jets or Essos. And although I really did push the 3.0 engine hard, I tend to use engine speed instead of stop-start braking and keep to constant speeds on the open road - as fast as possible (only joking). I don't do a lot of traffic jam / inner city driving, its mostly cross country trips on a motley collection of horrid little lanes and B-roads, A-roads and motorways, so a mix of speed limits. I think the quality of petrol has a lot to do with the fuel economy and engine performance, although many would pooh-pooh this, but in my experience over many thousands of miles it is.

I took a few quick pics on arriving in Norfolk this evening, if I can remember how to post pics I will - and before you point it out Pewters, it's dirty from the journey and needs detailing which I will hopefully get to do soon!!

I'll post more on the discussion onto one of the more appropriate sub-forums. Computer on the 4.8 saying I'm now getting 20.9mpg, so I'm quite pleased so far. Not a million miles from the 24mpg of the 3.0!

stevox5

Post by stevox5 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi There

Congratulations on the new car I am hankering after a 4.6 or 4.8 myself as my next car but funds dont allow at present . You must be thrilled at the performance difference and engine note after a 3.0i petrol , I have the 3.0i petrol and drive the V8's on a regular basis - what an upgrade !
Must say I am with Pewters on the 3.0 i fuel consumption I can only dream of 20plus mpg . Never mind must keep saving for a V8.
Enjoy your new car sounds very nice.

Cheers

Steve
X5 3.0i Topaz Blue , Paddle shift steering wheel , Pioneer double din sat nav,Alpine speaker upgrade,  Remap, HID's,20inch lemans alloys,lemans arch kit,Depo light kit,carbon fiber interior wrap.
1989 BMW 325i SPORT E30 Fully equiped summer toy.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:51 pm

[quote=""CondorX5""]Thanks AW8, I've covered about 500miles since collecting the 4.8 yesterday and the grin hasn't faded yet. Will do a write -up in progress on my experience with the Big Mama. :) [/quote]

Great - superb car....................still really pleased for you in getting this 8-)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:55 am

Great choice - Welcome to 4.8is ownership! You won't be disappointed...

Hexagon have some nice examples although they usually look overpriced. Sure you got a good deal though, you should know what you are doing with the long list of cars you have had in the past!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 am

It was the very long list of options that persuaded me, (over £10K extras when new), including the (for me) important towbar, as I need it, plus the BMW warranty, the freshly done Inspection Service and brake fluid change, single owner from new and the fact I needed to part ex my 3.0i......I did see a similar, much higher mileage car (around 50 000miles) at an independent for £5k less, but it was pretty standard with few extra options (I think it had the retractable load floor but nothing else - IMHO the least desirable of the options as it just adds weight without much extra function) and no BMW warranty. Addded bonus.....I've got the Aux heating that all the diesel guys brag about in winter AND remembered to get the remote for it!! Hexagon have a great used car line up - a gorgeous array of Z4Ms, M3s, and other higher-performance specced very nice BMWs - I was amazed at how busy they are, people seemed to be arriving from far and wide. My ex-X wasn't exotic enough for them to put on the floor, though, and the mileage "too high" at 60 000 - so it'll go to trade somewhere. I took a bit of a hit on it, but the independents offered a lot less so I guess it balances out in the end and it is just coming up to an Insp service. I suppose they charge whatever the market will stand!! What price that V8 burble, though :)