Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New top gear

General off-topic chat.
Mpower

Re: New top gear

Post by Mpower » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:55 am

[quote="5panner"]
I just watched Extra Gear on bbc3... It's much better than the main show...
[/quote]

I did the same and came to the same conclusion,maybe it's the beeps plan to try 2 shows to see which is accepted?

chubbs

Post by chubbs » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:51 pm

[quote="AW8"]
....What next - Canned laughter ???
[/quote]

Apparently it's already happened - but the BBC deny it. At least one member of the audience tweeted to complain about the canned laughter in the broadcast show, saying that in reality there were 'awkward silences'!

http://www.standard.co.uk/home/standard ... 63801.html

richbmw

Post by richbmw » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:46 am

[quote="AW8"]
Many years ago I used to find Evans ok on The Big Breakfast....my tastes have since matured.

Me seeing Evans going up Goodwood Hill at F.O.S. says it all........stoppping his run to wave at attendees showcasing himself more than the car he was driving. Some regard him as slightly irritating.

I don't  expect media presenters to be wholly transparent with their mood, but some may find it hard to be convined that Evans is genuinely as happy as self portrayed.

Before JC and others going I had got impression format was tired.....thus I feel a perfect opportunity was missed to revamp or rework.

Many folk also want to see items on classics of last 50 years especially recent modern classics....not just the new cars that promise the fastest track times.

I can't see how any self deserving petrolhead would show genuine interest in a lengthy item featuring "look at me" characters driving around in reliant 3 wheelers.

No doubt many of us will still watch the series unfold....even if out of curiosity & with thumb on the FFWD button if recorded.

Would rather have seen TG with Quentiin Wilson, Jodie Kidd, Rebecca Jackson  & Chris Harris or similar dynamic ....which brings me to Top Gear Extra - an improvement on the main show & may come together as presenters become more relaxed at interacting & bantering in front of a live audience.

Needs to be halfway between classic car TV show and fifth gear to work IMHO.

Laughter, smoke & mirrors are fine - but not when dispororionate to the star atttraction..... the metal !
[/quote]

Top Gear stopped being a car show years ago, think of it now as a magazine show, with cars.

I prefer the new Top Gear over the old one, as it was getting tired and predictable.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Viewer figures down 30% in 2 weeks.  That has to be sending some sort of message but I suspect the whole series is already on the hard drive (no one uses film any more).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:42 pm

I've just watched last nights episode absolute rubbish.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:04 pm

[quote="richbmw"]

Top Gear stopped being a car show years ago, think of it now as a magazine show, with cars.

I prefer the new Top Gear over the old one, as it was getting tired and predictable.
[/quote]

richbmw

I would be interested to read any comments you may wish to add that negate my ramblings or qualify why you prefer the new show. Sure, the old show was getting tired and predictable, however, the new one is hardly new and original either.

I am open minded but will take some convincing that the new show is superior &/or offers significant improvement & changes to format.

[quote="Reusch"]
I've just watched last nights episode absolute rubbish.
[/quote]

Reusch,

I don't doubt your comments,  albeit, I haven't even bothered to watch it yet. :)
Last edited by AW8 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Imy

Post by Imy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:30 pm

It was always going to be shit though wasn't it?!

Chris Evans is appalling, he cant drive, he cant present and he cant talk he just keep SHOUTING and JUMPING. Way hey I can do that, my 6yr old is the master of shouting and jumping...

Matt is actually pretty good considering I thought he was going to be the weak link. This weeks episode was better than the first and actually wasn't a bad watch purely because of the tasks but also the guests did well. Jenson I thought did more for the show in his 2minute cameo than Chris has done over 2 episodes!

It crap but il still watch it as they show fast cars and there are no ad breaks :)

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Well I've just watched the latest/last episode of the new series and it was actually ok Evans was ok,I'm just assuming he's resigned due to personal circumstances and not ratings.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:01 am

The effort was good, the cars were good, but not the screeching voice, not the copying of the old script.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:18 pm

I am sure the next series will be better without him.

How dare they use "my" bridge though ....  O:-)

X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

sneax

Post by sneax » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 am

imho Clarkson went down as he should have.

And the series must have went down also, but this may be due to my disbelief that any series past its 5th season can be as arousing as in the beginning, becoming therefore a disappointment