Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New top gear

General off-topic chat.
Reusch

New top gear

Post by Reusch » Mon May 30, 2016 7:25 pm

Just watching the new top gear and it's hard work,I was a lover of Clarkson,Hammond and May,yep I no he was a cock for lashing out and got what he deserved (a payment to the chap) but my opinion it should have been totally re vamped.It may get better time will tell.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

Mpower

Re: New top gear

Post by Mpower » Mon May 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Have to agree with your comments after 10 minutes I couldn't bear it any longer and switched over, Chris Evans was getting annoying trying too hard to imitate Clarkson.
Shame it could have been acceptable car show for the my usual Sunday night hour slot albeit not going to be the same without the trio but it was worse than I would had anticipated.
Get rid Chris Evans and and maybe have Gordon Ramsey on there as he has presenter experience and likes his cars maybe?

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:11 pm

as above but i will continue to watch and see if it grows on me but top gear will never be same again on bbc. looking forward to watching the original 3 on amazon when it starts and i have worked out the best possible way to watch in cost wise  O:-)
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

sid10

Post by sid10 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:53 pm

It seemed too false to me , le blanc was the only one worth watching !
Evans needs to be behind a radio , not a presenter .
    The show could have been a mix of fifth gear , (racing drivers racing each other no need for the stig or wooden stars in the car , they have even cocked up the top gear test track ) latest up to date super cars & more totty job done . Top Gear is officially dead long live the grand tour .

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Tue May 31, 2016 8:26 am

I watched the repeat last night with my 21 year old son.  He liked Matt, and disliked Chris.  I found myself hating Chris's animated jumping around, and his constant asking "good isn't it?"  annoying
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

ianst0028

Post by ianst0028 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:54 am

I was surprised how good LeBlanc was if i'm honest
shame Chris ruined it by trying too hard but i'll give it a couple more episodes before i decide yay or nay
X5 e53 3.0 2002 with LPG

richbmw

Post by richbmw » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:30 am

I'm away at the moment, so haven't seen it, but when I do, I won't compare it to the old TG and will treat it as a light entertainment show rather than a car show, which is what it has been for the last few series.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Wasn't a great fan of the original clowns but got to admit it was funny, had originality.

Felt last Sunday was a poor attempt to copy, and at times it was annoying.

honestly there no point and should not try to copy - would be a sure failure, instead should make the show totally different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

chubbs

Post by chubbs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:24 am

For me, Chris Evans was always going to be a disaster, because I don't warm to him and his showing off. Matt leBlanc was good, I like Sabine Schmitz and I thought the 'spin off' show, Extra Gear, online on BBC3, had potential, with Rory Reid, Chris Harris and Sabine - as long as they stop trying to imitate the old Top Gear by doing stupid stuff, which I never liked anyway.
Please, please, please just give us a car show on the BBC, WITHOUT these people who need to be the centre of attention all the time.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Many years ago I used to find Evans ok on The Big Breakfast....my tastes have since matured.

Me seeing Evans going up Goodwood Hill at F.O.S. says it all........stoppping his run to wave at attendees showcasing himself more than the car he was driving. Some regard him as slightly irritating.

I don't  expect media presenters to be wholly transparent with their mood, but some may find it hard to be convined that Evans is genuinely as happy as self portrayed.

Before JC and others going I had got impression format was tired.....thus I feel a perfect opportunity was missed to revamp or rework.

Many folk also want to see items on classics of last 50 years especially recent modern classics....not just the new cars that promise the fastest track times.

I can't see how any self deserving petrolhead would show genuine interest in a lengthy item featuring "look at me" characters driving around in reliant 3 wheelers.

No doubt many of us will still watch the series unfold....even if out of curiosity & with thumb on the FFWD button if recorded.

Would rather have seen TG with Quentiin Wilson, Jodie Kidd, Rebecca Jackson  & Chris Harris or similar dynamic ....which brings me to Top Gear Extra - an improvement on the main show & may come together as presenters become more relaxed at interacting & bantering in front of a live audience.

Needs to be halfway between classic car TV show and fifth gear to work IMHO.

Laughter, smoke & mirrors are fine - but not when dispororionate to the star atttraction..... the metal !
Last edited by AW8 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

chubbs

Post by chubbs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Excellent analysis, AW8. I would really look forward to the type of programme you just described.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks, but I won't submit my CV to the BBC just yet  ::)

We have evolved from pre Clarkson TG....entertainment is expected. Old trio Deep South USA & Argentina anctics hard to match (even for them) but staged acted wooden nonsense doesn't cut it....What next - Canned laughter ???

I will say one good thing for TG with old trio when in their prime (not always) .....Even if output quality varied,  petrolheads could watch on a Sunday evening, relatively guilt free & with much content more tolerated by partners & families !
Last edited by AW8 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chubbs

Post by chubbs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:04 pm

[quote="AW8"]
....What next - Canned laughter ???
[/quote]

I don't know if you watch Gardeners' World on Fridays, with Monty Don, but there's canned birdsong throughout the entire show, so I reckon canned laughter already exists on TG, in the audience bits. You don't think people actually LAUGH at Evans' jokes, do you?

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:57 am

Hmm Probably not... :)

Can't say I have noticed the birdsong on occasional channel flicking onto gardeners world.

I destroy gardens and mainly lay to lawn.... Feathered friends not my biggest fans ;)

5panner

Post by 5panner » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:42 am

I just watched Extra Gear on bbc3... It's much better than the main show...
2016 X5 (F15) xdrive40d M Sport
2013 Skoda Fabia VRS
2008 VW Polo (driven by daughter, paid for by me...)